GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I think my FSI just blew up

asalterio1

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I was driving home. All of a sudden the car lost power, CEL started flashing and motor was "rapping" very loud. Pulled off the highway. No smoke was evident, car had plenty of oil on the dip stick. BUT when I accelerated, noise stopped and CEl turned off :mad0259: Sounds like the top end for sure, but could be anything. The car has a lot of new parts...

* Intake cam
* Follower
* Cam chain
* Cam tensioner
* Timing belt
* Water Pump
* Plugs and coils

There was an outstanding issue, the car was misfiring at idle since I replaced everything ^^ and the motor was loud once warmed up. Now I think its on its last legs. Any ideas?

taaj

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mkv
check if the dip stick needed to be pushed in its socket until it feels secure, usually if dipstick is sticking out a bit the car will feel jerky so this maybe an option to look into

DBSpectre

What does your compression look like?

Other than that are the RPMs jumping around erratically while driving or at idle? Doesn't seem to be a misfire since its not throwing a code. Its hard to tell from that video but from your description sounds like it might be a crank position sensor.

Edit: On second thought definitely check your compression. If it is happening at low RPMs and then goes away when you accelerate that sounds like a sticky valve. Its either bent or gunked up probably. Watching the video it sounds like you have open compression on one of the cylinders.

Last edited:

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
How does it run with the MAF unplugged?

I would vag com scan it and test compression. My feeling is your PCV valve just gave up the ghost hard or there is a leak somehwere else, both can cause that kind of rough running condition.

taaj

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mkv
I| agree with GTI2Slow another possibility is your PCV but unless you remove that cover its kinda hard to inspect your brake booster hoses...

DBSpectre

Failing PCVs will cause a rough idle for sure but not to that extent. Also I would say the problem he mentions in the OP is atypical of a bad PCV but anything is possible I suppose

asalterio1

Passed Driver's Ed
I doubt a pcv issue would cause a top end knock...I checked compression BEFORE this happened and had 190 or so on all 4. Only codes were a misfire P0300-1-2-3-4. No timing related codes.

DBSpectre

Once my truck it out of the garage, I am going to pull the valve cover and inspect. I am thinking belt valves, but wouldnt it run like sh*t all the time?
If they are bent then yes it would run terrible all the time. If they are damaged to the point they are functional but maybe just stick a little, might be something that happens at low RPM.(in this instance). Also I don't think this is completely separate from that other issue you posted about that I thought might be your HPFP. Definitely possible that thing is causing this problem too.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
Make sure a rocker didn't pop off, common issue on the FSI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
Replace it, can't see there not being some type of damage. Stiffer springs to prevent it from happening again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
You sure the timing was set right when the belt was replaced?