GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nightclub/ concert photography

VDUBMkV///C

Intergalactic smugness
Car(s)
CW MkV
So I thought I'd start this thread to see if anyone here does it and if so, any tips for a newbie going into this kind of photography? I'm getting a chance to shoot a local Dj tomorrow night and I was hoping for some quick pointers.

motorhoney

Ready to race!
Haha, never too late to get the thread going, right?!

Untitled by Erik Lauritsen, on Flickr

My roommates ^

click through my flickr to see moar

What I generally do is use a fast, somewhat wide lens (20-35mm) or a 50 or 85mm for some tighter stuff. I always shoot at maximum aperture, adjust the ISO based on how much ambiance I want to capture and a shutter speed that makes sense (it "makes sense" after some experience). I set my flash to +2/3 FEC - whatever it meters, it will add some more light - this will prevent underexposure and generally make things "pop" a bit more. In some situations you may want to change this, but I'm pretty much locked at +2/3 FEC and I use evaluative flash metering.

If the subject is moving and I want to not get so much blur from their movement and their bright clothes reflecting light and "smearing", I'll boost the ISO and the shutter speed to about 1/40 or so. I generally use ISO 400-1600 and SS of 1 second to 1/4 second - all depends on how the lights are setup at the place and what kind of action is happening - ALWAYS changing settings. Basically, I set everything on the camera manually, but let the E-TTL flash metering do it's thing - it works VERY well in most situations. I don't know what people are complaining about when they talk shit about Canon's flash metering compared to Nikon's

If you're not using a flash:

MiMOSA by Erik Lauritsen, on Flickr
Crank the ISO to whatever is necessary to stop whatever action the people are doing - 1/80 should be good if you catch the right moment and are steady, but 1/200 is safer. Luckily MiMOSA has a good stage manager (complete asshole...) and brought some REAL lights for this show :) - him prohibiting flash was very educational for me - the other guys there who used flash anyway got garbage pictures, and were bitched at :)

Get in people's shit! Very few people are hesitant to have their pictures taken, some demand it (which is annoying) People cheer when I appear to take pictures - it's kinda neat :) If you see something awesome happen, get a picture of it. I'd rather have several shots of different groups of people where I can clearly see how hard they're partying compared to a big, wide shot of a bunch of non-descript people. Utilize the goofyness that wide-angle lenses provide when used up close to get some oddball shots:

^this guy is fucking WASTED everytime I see him, makes for good pictures.

Last edited:

DUB2OT

Banned
Nasty bunch of skanks.

HeartMyVeedub

Ready to race!
Haha, never too late to get the thread going, right?!

My roommates ^

click through my flickr to see moar

What I generally do is use a fast, somewhat wide lens (20-35mm) or a 50 or 85mm for some tighter stuff. I always shoot at maximum aperture, adjust the ISO based on how much ambiance I want to capture and a shutter speed that makes sense (it "makes sense" after some experience). I set my flash to +2/3 FEC - whatever it meters, it will add some more light - this will prevent underexposure and generally make things "pop" a bit more. In some situations you may want to change this, but I'm pretty much locked at +2/3 FEC and I use evaluative flash metering.

If the subject is moving and I want to not get so much blur from their movement and their bright clothes reflecting light and "smearing", I'll boost the ISO and the shutter speed to about 1/40 or so. I generally use ISO 400-1600 and SS of 1 second to 1/4 second - all depends on how the lights are setup at the place and what kind of action is happening - ALWAYS changing settings. Basically, I set everything on the camera manually, but let the E-TTL flash metering do it's thing - it works VERY well in most situations. I don't know what people are complaining about when they talk shit about Canon's flash metering compared to Nikon's

If you're not using a flash:

MiMOSA by Erik Lauritsen, on Flickr
Crank the ISO to whatever is necessary to stop whatever action the people are doing - 1/80 should be good if you catch the right moment and are steady, but 1/200 is safer. Luckily MiMOSA has a good stage manager (complete asshole...) and brought some REAL lights for this show :) - him prohibiting flash was very educational for me - the other guys there who used flash anyway got garbage pictures, and were bitched at :)

Get in people's shit! Very few people are hesitant to have their pictures taken, some demand it (which is annoying) People cheer when I appear to take pictures - it's kinda neat :) If you see something awesome happen, get a picture of it. I'd rather have several shots of different groups of people where I can clearly see how hard they're partying compared to a big, wide shot of a bunch of non-descript people. Utilize the goofyness that wide-angle lenses provide when used up close to get some oddball shots:

^this guy is fucking WASTED everytime I see him, makes for good pictures.

Some great great advice here.

Vins25

Dump Valve 7000RPM
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
:w00t:Nice shots

eatonrabbit

///Eurotrash
Car(s)
GTI DSG APR Stage 2+
god damn Dubstep kids. :paddle:

:biggrin:

OP: Get yourself a spedlite or whatever the Nikon equivalent is with a diffuser and a TTL cord. Helped me wonders in party/night club shooting.

eatonrabbit

///Eurotrash
Car(s)
GTI DSG APR Stage 2+
@motorhoney: where did you roomate get a Play Me shirt? I've known Reid for a long time now.