GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTB - MkV OEM Xenon headlights (cash & trade you my lights)

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Don't put them in the oven... it's not necessary. And definitely not worth the risk of melting some part of the housing.

I bought a $20 heat gun. That was all I needed. Took me 30 mins, roughly, to take each light apart. And mine are HIDs.

Link to you doing this? Pics?
Thanks.

Anyone downunder with a spare set of GTI headlights since doing the projector and/or OEM xenon upgrade?

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
click

found these on ebay.

you might be interested in them ?

cheap enough..... the switch in the headlights for lhd or rhd operation does not exactly convert them to RHD though.
it does flatten the beam out so that your not blinding on coming traffic, but won't give that kick up on the left side.

still very cheap for dynabeams (not the dynalook units)

also found these..

RHD Dyna look

and these....

click

and these

the last set is for a dyna look set.
the seller says they would post to the UK and Canada, but i assume they wound ship to australia.

Jason

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Link to you doing this? Pics?
Thanks.

Anyone downunder with a spare set of GTI headlights since doing the projector and/or OEM xenon upgrade?
I can post an after picture. I didn't document the job as I went.. followed the Joey mod diy on this site. Just without the oven step.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
click

found these on ebay.

you might be interested in them ?

cheap enough..... the switch in the headlights for lhd or rhd operation does not exactly convert them to RHD though.
it does flatten the beam out so that your not blinding on coming traffic, but won't give that kick up on the left side.

still very cheap for dynabeams (not the dynalook units)

also found these..

RHD Dyna look

and these....

click

and these

the last set is for a dyna look set.
the seller says they would post to the UK and Canada, but i assume they wound ship to australia.

Jason

Thanks, Jason, I'm looking through them. The last link is the one I mentioned (UK seller of 10+ units of dynabeam-look Hella lights). 189GBP is great but he (eBayer emsltduk) quotes an additional 186GBP for shipping!
~$700 rather than $300ish and I don't use the lights most nights like you, so it's probably not worth it if it's $700-800 - but I will now check your other links. :)

Thanks for the posts, penance - so you have the dynabeams, now 'smoked'? That's why I was keen to see a pic... have seen a pic previously and now cannot find the forum/pics despite searching.

Cheers,
B.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Jason, the wurschbert seller (German, presumable, via eBay UK) had previously accepted 150GBP on a previous 'make an offer' sale on this exact product, so I proposed to buy IF the shipping cost is low/reasonable enough.

What do you think?

The other one you linked, the Hella OEM xenon-look lights, look good too.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
If you can get a combined shipping and purchase price that's low enough, go for it.

If he accepts the 150 pound offer, they would cost about $550 landed.
Not a bad price.

I think benough is running the oem look units converted to xenon.
They work well.

Jason

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Jason and Benough, I've got good prices!
Xenon-look $575 (A$519+EUR$40 shipping)
Dynabeam-look $361 (GBP150+75)

I will try to find a graphite car with the dynabeam lights. Since these are not actual dynabeams I'm probbly much better off just getting the OEM-looking projectors anyway.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
those are good prices indeed.

i agree that the OEM style projectors would probably be better than the dyna look units.

Jason

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Thanks, Jason.

I did a search of ebay.com and couldn't find any Hella xenon-look projectors near this price, so I guess I should get this one.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
give me a yell if you need a hand installing them.

had my front bar off enough times now, it's fairly easy and quick.

Jason.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Definitely will! This would be one of two last things I think I want to do to the car.
You've done the other one, too (and it's not the LED or head unit!).

Goodnight. I'll let you know how I go with the purchase.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Hey Benough and Jason, would you recommend I buy the HID kit at the same time?
Based on your experience, what do go with?
I'd prefer the genuine, German brand proper bulbs (Osram or Phillips?) if possible.
I know they need to be the H7 compatible HIDs and want as OEM as possible, but my car's a MY07 and would not have the highline CECM, so it's probably very similar to your car, Jason.

I think if you can recommend an appropriate kit (I want the best result, so 5300k or whatever OEM spec is fine... no silly ricer blue, thanks) I should order it.

I'm leaning towards the xenon look headlights from tuning fanatics shop.de.

They only seem to have two xenon kits, both of which are likely just Chinese.
Is this one OK or can I do better? (same seller as the xenon-look lights above)

Phillips HID kit from local seller: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/H7-6000K-Xen...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c526719f3

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
You need either a 50W ballast and globe kit (IMO these are too bright for road use)
or error cancellers for the hid kit to work correctly.

the 35W kits are already 3 times as much light as halogen, with a 50W kit it would be overkill (IMO)

And you will need hid globe holders for the mk5 headlights.

I found a kit that has 35 watt ballast that has built in error correction,
Has the mk5 globe holders already and they have 4300k (oem colour temp)
And the 6000k colour temp units. (i used the 4300k, as i had tried a 6000k kit in a previous car,
and found it was too blue for my tastes) if i could, i would have 5000k.

i went with the 4300k colour temp, and i find it's great.
4300k is more light on the road than the 6000k kits too.

kit

this kit uses the same Philips globes.

they don't have any 4300k kits listed at the moment, i would shoot them an email and ask about them.
of course if you want the 6000k kit, than by all means go ahead and get one.

this kit appeared to be top quality when i fitted it. it was only down no my mistake when installing that
led to it being replaced. (i accidentally sliced into one of the high tension wires that run to the globe.
even with that slice, the light still ran for about 6 months.

Jason.

Last edited:

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
I can post an after picture. I didn't document the job as I went.. followed the Joey mod diy on this site. Just without the oven step.

Haha, joey-mod isn't in our Aussie vocabulary. Joey's a baby roo here. :)

Anyway I've been looking for a pic of a 'joey-mod' aka smoked mod to the Dynabeam (or dynabeam-look) headlights.

It seems nobody's posted a pic of a painted / joey-mod dynabeam.

Or have I just missed it?

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07