GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adjusting coilovers while they remain on the car.

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Been researching PSS10 and KW V2/V3.

I noticed that a lot of the pros for the PSS10 is that you can adjust the dampening while they are on the car. Do you jack the car up, remove the tire and then adjust the dial by hand, or do you use a tool?

As for the KW's, on the MK6 forum people were saying that the KW V3's can have the rears adjusted while remaining on the car, which was a Con when compared to PSS10 because most people reply saying the rears need to be removed. Can the KW V2 or V3 be adjusted while on the car?

I am looking for an adjustable coilover system that I can adjust dampening (and rebound if possible) while they remain on the car. I also hear amazing things about Ohlins but not sure if I can adjust those while they are on the car.

If anyone else can chime in on quality coilovers that can be adjusted while on the car I would appreciate it. I am also NOT looking to adjust ride height while on the car, I only intend to go 20-25mm lower than stock in the front and 15-20mm lower in the rear. I currently have PSS coils on the car at 25mm lower than stock in the front and 20mm lower than stock in the rear.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I was going to go Ohlins but could not get them so I went with Eibach R1. Easy to adjust shocks while on car without removing anything. I got them to go from street to track and back. Both the Ohlins and Eibachs are perfect for that scenario. Priced similarly.

Now for the good part... the Eibach R1 sell for about 2300 or so. The Eibach R2 coilovers sell for about 3300. Eibach had a closeout on the R1 and R2. I got my R1 for 1300 on closeout. And the best part for you.... I believe they have a set of the R2 left for 1857.50. These are fantastic with remote resevoirs and adjusters. LINK

I think I got one of the last sets of R1. You should pick these up. Way nicer than Ohlins as they are 2 way so you have seperate adjustment for compression and rebound and remote reservoir.

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for that info, I did see the set for 1857 from 3,365. The issue is that I will be purchasing these late February early March, as I do not like to purchase mods during the winter in case an accident happens.

When you adjusted your Eibach R1 from track to street, how comfortable was street and how comfortable could it possibly go? Everyone's concept of comfort is different so imagine some bumpy NY roads.

Ohlins can be adjusted on the car without removing anything? Just in case I am unable to get either the R1 or R2 late February.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
The front coils I never had issue, even with the tires on, just lift the corner your working on and use the provided tools. The thing I hate about the rears on these is how the springs sit outside the shocks. If not seated properly they can pop out. Also adjusting MAY be done on the car there, but you probably have to hold the adjusting collar in place somehow while rotating the sleeve to lower or raise the spring. Unless the kit has set screws to hold the rear perches in place which I never seen.
The way I do it now is I have h&r street coils adjusted up in the front (otherwise scrapes everywhere/tires rub) & use h&r sport springs with koni yellows in the rear. Sits at a decent height, no bodyroll, no oil pan cracking risk. Never adjusted the rears anyway saw it pointless.

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Golfballer: I was referring to adjusting the dampening, not the ride height, sorry to confuse you.

How do the Sachs Coilovers compare to your Ohlins damper? These look identical to the PSS10 except they differ in color.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks for that info, I did see the set for 1857 from 3,365. The issue is that I will be purchasing these late February early March, as I do not like to purchase mods during the winter in case an accident happens.

When you adjusted your Eibach R1 from track to street, how comfortable was street and how comfortable could it possibly go? Everyone's concept of comfort is different so imagine some bumpy NY roads.

Ohlins can be adjusted on the car without removing anything? Just in case I am unable to get either the R1 or R2 late February.

Yes Ohlins or Eibach R1 can be adjusted without removing anything. Fronts top and rear at bottom, both similar in that way. Pics of my R1 adjustments.

Note- Eibach has a huge line of springs for these coilovers if you wish to customize them beyond the springs they are delivered with. The units are also rebuildable like most brands in this price range.

Eibach R2 of course are remote adjusters so yes.

Last edited:

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Car(s)
GLI
Golfballer: I was referring to adjusting the dampening, not the ride height, sorry to confuse you.

How do the Sachs Coilovers compare to your Ohlins damper? These look identical to the PSS10 except they differ in color.
I said not much difference b/w Ohlins and ZF Sachs, but I think Ohlins is a bit comfortable in bad road. I heard PSS10 is stiffer.
For the money and street use, I will buy ZF Sachs again and they also changed spring from progressive to more linear spring. All three are high end and top notch quality.

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
ik105: For the ZF Sachs, it was easy to adjust as you said. The dampening is adjusted on a scale of 1-10 like PSS10 or a different numbering system? Also at the SOFTEST setting, will the ride feel similar to OEM in terms of comfort. Just to reinstate, I am looking for a soft floaty car equal or similar to OEM, and then I want to adjust it to be stiff for either auto-x/track days or when I want a spirited weekend drive.

I currently have PSS coils on the car, and people say that it is often equal to a 5 in the front and 5 in the rear if it was a PSS10 system, and it's great for sport driving, but terrible for daily driving. So that is where my issue is, I want both worlds, and if I can adjust the dampening by just getting under the car or jacking it up, that's exactly what I want.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
This is a random description from a MKV owner with a newly installed set of Ohlins. I think it will help you adjust your expectations when you are buying either the Sachs or Ohlins. You can't have the best of both worlds, its going to be a compromise with an accent toward performance over comfort.

......"Ohlins are not miracle workers. If your local roads are diabolical, then don't expect this kit to turn the surface of the moon into a billiard table. You will certainly feel it more than the OEM suspension, but in a way which is far more controlled and planted. You can cover ground way faster and with less drama, going into corners way faster and flatter than you thought possible in a humble little Golf.".....

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Car(s)
GLI
Sachs and Ohlins have 1-20 adjustable damping. Every person is different feel and opinion. Coilovers is more performance oriented. My set up is more for street, Ohlins Damper with Eibach Euro( same as VWR spring).

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
ik105: When you had the Sachs, and you set it on softer settings, how did it feel compared to OEM? Also I tried to find specs related to that setup you linked, and it did not have much detail so I found the same part number on ECS.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-sachs-p...di-tt-8j3-18-tfsi-0608-0614/841500118451~sac/

It displays Height adjustable from 1.4" to 2.2" (front) and 1.4" to 2.2" (rear)

I am definitely not looking to drop the car 1.4" as my car is currently 25mm (.98') lower in the front and 20mm lower in the back. I was looking to possibly do 15-20 lower in front and 15mm lower in the back with the new setup. To allow for more travel since progressive springs were extremely harsh when my car was 1.5" lower in the front and 1.4" lower in the back for the last 3 years and I was also hitting the internal rear bump stops alot.

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
And just one other thing I found from the forum "His second kit was the Sachs Street Performance coilover that did not have enough spring rate and would spring bind at the front (when springs slap together making lots of crashing and banging noise). Nick changed the spring in the Sachs coilovers to a firmer spring of similar shape to what KW use, which did impact on ride quality, but reduced or eliminated the spring bind. When springs bind, they are actually adding spring rate with two or more coils joined together, but very noisey." Did you experience that with your setup, or did they create a new revision?

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Car(s)
GLI
As I knew, Sach changed spring design since many people complained binding problem as you saw James' suspension thread. I think it won't be like oem soft with any coliovers. I don't complaint riding comfort while handling is much improved. I said for the money I would spend less $2k over $3k Ohlins. Unless you ride with each coilovers, you never know...

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
How about the ride height? Height adjustable from 1.4" to 2.2" (front) and 1.4" to 2.2" (rear) seems like that might be incorrect information as that would be rather extreme drops which would result in a flush look for visual appearance but would not benefit for performance reasons.