GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm a new GTI owner...and car owner as well.

youngnoobie

Hey guys! I'm 17 years old and my first car that I will own is going to be a '06 Mk5 that was passed down to me by my uncle. So far I'm getting a new front bumper painted currently and I have much more to get for the car. Any advice? GTI wise or just driving wise in general. I am a new driver overall so any advice is welcome:)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Welcome to the forum. Nice first car. It is a pretty quick car for a first car so just be conservative and sensible when you drive it. Read all you can on this forum to learn about your car and you will really enjoy it. I have owned my 08 since new and it is one of the most fun cars I have owned.. though I haven't driven it for over a year.

Stenosis

Very lucky young lad. I'm also a new 2006 GTI owner. Certainly not my first car, but can't see myself driving anything BUT a GTI for a very long time. Car is awesome fun, and if well taken care of will last you a very long time. Dive into the forums, and the DIY threads to see some of the common troubles and maintenance actions that will help preserve the car and it's high performance. Asking your uncle for all his maintenance records would be a very good starting point. Mention "cam follower" to him - if he doesn't know what that is...checking it might be your first wrench turn on your new GTI.

Enjoy!!!

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Congrats on the new ride! Just like the others have said this forum has tons of maintenance tips for you. Read it all and absorb it like a sponge. Also, you being a first time car owner and driver you will make mistakes. A stock mk5 gti has plenty of power to get you in trouble. Be smart. Be safe. Have fun though as well :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

youngnoobie

Welcome to the forum. Nice first car. It is a pretty quick car for a first car so just be conservative and sensible when you drive it. Read all you can on this forum to learn about your car and you will really enjoy it. I have owned my 08 since new and it is one of the most fun cars I have owned.. though I haven't driven it for over a year.

Thank you so much! I really look forward to driving this car. Any links you can provide me for quick access? Still learning the forum and whatnot.

youngnoobie

Very lucky young lad. I'm also a new 2006 GTI owner. Certainly not my first car, but can't see myself driving anything BUT a GTI for a very long time. Car is awesome fun, and if well taken care of will last you a very long time. Dive into the forums, and the DIY threads to see some of the common troubles and maintenance actions that will help preserve the car and it's high performance. Asking your uncle for all his maintenance records would be a very good starting point. Mention "cam follower" to him - if he doesn't know what that is...checking it might be your first wrench turn on your new GTI.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks! How has driving the car been? Since you are a new owner to it as well? Anything I should definitely know?

youngnoobie

Congrats on the new ride! Just like the others have said this forum has tons of maintenance tips for you. Read it all and absorb it like a sponge. Also, you being a first time car owner and driver you will make mistakes. A stock mk5 gti has plenty of power to get you in trouble. Be smart. Be safe. Have fun though as well :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Plenty of power to get you in trouble" I like that haha, thanks man!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thank you so much! I really look forward to driving this car. Any links you can provide me for quick access? Still learning the forum and whatnot.

One big thing to keep track of is the wear of the cam follower that drives the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). It is a 45.00 part and if it wears out, it can cause major damage to the motor. It has no wear sensors so you have to check it manually. LINK

The first tool you should buy is a VAGCOM cable from Ross-Tech. Buy one and learn how to use it. Invaluable for a new owner. LINK

Which transmission do you have 6sp manual or DSG auto?
Also what is the current mileage?
Do you know what service has been done to the car?

Last edited: