GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New-to-me 2007!

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, proud new owner of this 2007. Under 69k miles, single owner, reasonably well maintained.

Some things right off the bat--HPFP cam follower's never been looked at. Never had a spark plug or fuel filter replacement, and the brake fluid is going to be flushed on Friday.

I ordered a vagcom cable to see if there's anything, as well as make some mods.

Planning on HPA puck, Neuspeed short shifter and intake and shifter cable bushings for now.

Looking forward to my journey with my new German flame.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Ditto, Congrats! really looks clean in the pic. I have owned mine for just over 10 years and love it.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Clean car! Makes me miss mine.
:,(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Listing said it's been garaged 10/11 years...that one year must have been 2018 and exposed to the elements. I got it on Thurs and did a full detail on Sat--wash, clay, compound, and a coat of cleaner wax.

Definitely shows its age but it's been well serviced (and will continued to be).

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Yup! The previous owner was a responsible owner but no enthusiast. I'll be doing fuel filter this Friday and hopefully the spark plugs on Sunday. I did the cam follower last week. With 69k miles I expected it to be on its last legs, but it had just a thin film of whatever coating they have on the center, very little wear along the edges. I just replaced it while I had it out. I'll check it in 20k or so, and then every 10k.

The mod bug is back, but I usually prefer to do mods that don't significantly affect comfort or longevity. Intake, short shifter, shifter bushings, HPA puck for now.

My only complaint is that the bite point is a bit numb until you're nearly at the top of the catch. When you feel the engine is going to stall it's already too late. I had the billet insert on my previous GTI and that helped firm things up. The effect will be much more pronounced with the HPA puck.

Rev hang 1st to 2nd is a bit annoying..aftermarket clutch and flywheel is definitely going in if the stock one ever bites the dust.

Turbo B6

I had a quick question about mk5 gti’s.... I currently am looking into getting one, the DSG trans, however I know they have had many problems especially the Mechatronic going out. My question is if the 2006 models were under the recall VW sent out? There are many 2006 models near me but I would want to know if I should stay away from the 2006’s?

Sorry I had to reply to your thread, I just joined the forum and I’m not allowed to post a new thread yet...

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
I had a quick question about mk5 gti’s.... I currently am looking into getting one, the DSG trans, however I know they have had many problems especially the Mechatronic going out. My question is if the 2006 models were under the recall VW sent out? There are many 2006 models near me but I would want to know if I should stay away from the 2006’s?

Sorry I had to reply to your thread, I just joined the forum and I’m not allowed to post a new thread yet...

My understanding is that DSG/Mech recall covered all Mk5's.

You can try calling VW customer service line if you have some VIN numbers to get the status of DSG service. Not sure how much info they would give you, or if they would even talk to you if you're not the owner. Still worth a try, I tried this with mine and they knew all about my DSG and Mech related work that was done.

Other than that, chances are that whoever had issues with DSG back then would have them fixed by now and if not, you should be able to tell quite easily if there is something amiss just by driving it a bit. The symptoms of a bad Mech are well documented and are impossible to miss, car will drive like its broken.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Well, it's been a heck of a couple months. I've been going mod-crazy, as I did have a modded mk6 before the Mazda 3. Could I have saved that money? Yes, but where's the fun in that?

The biggest mod would be the South Bend stage 2 daily clutch, generously donated from a Golf R friend who no longer had use for it. One month in and my left leg is completely used to it. That with the full poly mounts and the Fluidampr make for a more 'mechanical' sounding engine bay with a bit of a thrum sent throughout the cabin.

For the suspension, I have sourced Autotech monotube shocks (re-branded Sachs shocks) with VWR linear lowering springs. I have the TT spring perch to even out some of the rake. Replaced a few bushings and picked up some Passat arms from a local junk yard.

CV boot and valve cover gasket changed, so I can really push this car hard without hesitation. Stock tune for now, but will jump on the APR stage 1 when a sale comes around. I could have gone for it this holiday season, but I've put more into this car than I'd like to admit.