GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hatch gas struts OUT after 56k???

JoeyDaBomb

Go Kart Champion
the ECS hate pop up kit is not so great for ppl who is in cold area

it wont pop up itslef when the temp is cold...

right now in NYC the temp is around 60 and my hatch wont pop everytime.... but in the summer the hatch pop up everytime...

so cold = dont work
hot = work...

They won't work in 60* temps, wow.

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Yea stock ones suck, I've gone through 3 sets under warranty. If you go to shows/gtg's a lot and leave your hatch open for them it will happen. Since my warranty is out now I'll be ordering the ecs kit next time.

Actually, I never leave the hatch open for extended periods of time. Bad luck for me, I suppose.

But I'm kind of curious though about the reliability of ECS's kit versus the stock struts, since it's actually using struts sourced from Skoda (another VAG company). My gut tells me the quality would be about the same.

the ECS hate pop up kit is not so great for ppl who is in cold area

Well, that wouldn't be a problem for me because I live in Phoenix. Blazing hot 9 months out of the year, and rarely below 50 during the winter.

IIIHobbs

The Old Man Down the Road
Car(s)
2007 GTI
But I'm kind of curious though about the reliability of ECS's kit versus the stock struts, since it's actually using struts sourced from Skoda (another VAG company). My gut tells me the quality would be about the same.

Some Parts fail, that's why there are manufacturers warranty. The part is designed/intended to last a specific period of time, the warranty is to offer replacement for The few that do not. Others last much longer than designed.

The ECS kit has a heavy duty shock with a higher load limit, that's how it is able to lift the hatch from the closed position

The hatch is heavy, and the OEM struts support it just at the lower limit, therefore the HD struts should hold up better

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Some Parts fail, that's why there are manufacturers warranty. The part is designed/intended to last a specific period of time, the warranty is to offer replacement for The few that do not. Others last much longer than designed.

Yeah, I understand that concept. But it's frustrating when it happens shortly after your vehicle warranty is over. But thankfully, it's not a horribly expensive fix. I just have to patiently wait until November when ECS is supposed have them back in stock...

The hatch is heavy, and the OEM struts support it just at the lower limit, therefore the HD struts should hold up better

Good to know. Thanks!

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
You're supposed to mail them in and have them recharged and then they mail them back.

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
You're supposed to mail them in and have them recharged and then they mail them back.

Oh, gotcha. I wonder if anything similar exists in the US though. Those guys are based in Canada. My thinking is that shipping and handling can potentially supersede what it would cost to just buy new struts domestically.

KushChub

I love my GTI
I bought the ECS hatch pop kit, its brilliant.

Especially when someone is standing close to the rear and you want them to get away...its perfect.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Not trying to get the thread off track but my hood strut went out at 62k for me. I was surprised it did so soon personally. Although the replacement part was only $30 so I'm not really complaining. :lol:

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Not trying to get the thread off track but my hood strut went out at 62k for me. I was surprised it did so soon personally. Although the replacement part was only $30 so I'm not really complaining.

Yeah, that particular strut doesn't have to hold as much weight up.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
This thread is making me feel lucky. I am at 160,000 miles and my original hatch struts are still working as new.
I am in and out of the hatch every day, on average probably six times per day.
I often leave the hatch sitting open overnight as well.

I am wondering if the fact that my car is garaged contributes to my good fortune in this respect. :iono:

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
I am wondering if the fact that my car is garaged contributes to my good fortune in this respect. :iono:

Mine has been garaged the whole time I've owned at work and at home and I've gone through my hatch shocks twice now. Just got my 3rd set on the other day under warranty of course lol.