GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Key Fob Questions

Royson345

Passed Driver's Ed
So after digging around it seems as if getting a new key for my 08 GTI is going to be a hassle. I have an aftermarket key that I had cut already but upon bringing it to the dealership they said it wasnt OEM and wouldnt even attempt to program the transponder.

Has anyone had any luck getting a key that was not OEM from VW to program?

Also I heard you can use a key code that was included in the Owners Manual during the PDI process. I looked in mine and indeed have a black plastic tag with 2 stickers on it. Is that the key code I would need to have someone other than VW program the transponder?

Thanks for any help!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
You best bet is to get it from the dealer which you found out is not cheap or find a locksmith that can clone your existing key fob.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
You don't need any code to code the transponder, just the key, the car and VAG-COM. Find someone who has VCDS and you will be fine. However, most of these chinese key fob use the same transponder ID, so in some sense you are programming the car to accept a widely used ID.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
That 2008 GTI is immo 4 with download. Vcds is not going to help on the immo pill. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer#Immobilizer_Generation_4

From VW SSP Immo

Last edited:

Royson345

Passed Driver's Ed
Sooo what I gather only an OEM key will work andnit has to be programmed ar the dealership. Thats what Im gathering so far. Thanks for posting that chart though, that paints a much clearer picture of what Im dealing with now!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Call around for a locksmith that can clone the key you bought to your original key.

Killa_Aku_MK5

Car(s)
MK5 gti
If you wanna do a little work you could just switch over the key part by separating the key with a flat head. Unless the aftermarket key is different..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killa_Aku_MK5

Car(s)
MK5 gti
If you wanna do a little work you could just switch over the key part by separating the key with a flat head. Unless the aftermarket key is different..

The opening to separate it will be under the key itself when it is flipped open. Remove the little circuit board from the old key to the new key and it will work

Royson345

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe Op wanted a second set of keys not just refreshing the key fob case.

Yes correct, however, my current key is broken and I cant attach it to my key ring so the risk of losing/misplacing it is higher. I was going to swap the parts into the after market key but wanted to wait until I had a working 2nd key so I wasnt SOL if I damaged anything during the swap. I might just have to bite the bullet and go to VW and pay for it...