GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 MKV FSI vs 2012 Genesis 2.0 r-spec

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
A buddy that I work with has a 2012 Genesis 2.0 5 speed auto, r-spec, he has exhaust (cat back), lowered, and a DIY CAI.

I have a 2008 GTI, FSI, DSG, four door, leather, moon roof ect. so it should be one of the heavier GTI's.
I just purchased the car pre-owned, and under the hood it's totally stock, I don't know yet if it has a tune or not as I haven't checked the boost yet.

Anyways he and I ran three times, from a dead stop I jumped him out of the hole, and pulled away like a freight train, at 100mph I had 12-15 links on him.

From a 30mph roll I pulled away, slowed down and let him catch up (mind you he's still at WOT), then I got back on it and walked away again.

I am pretty familiar with the GTI my last was a 2006 2 door, 6 speed manual, with APR stage 2+, with all the supporting mods. Twintercooler, HPFP, CAI, PVC block, downpipe, and muffler delete.

My 2008 is no where as fast, or it doesn't feel nearly as fast as my 06. However from what I found IF i was stock the Genesis should have kept up much better and I shouldn't have been able to walk on him the way I did.

Thank for listening.
Ricky Finch

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
I wanted the genesis coupes to be fast but they just aren't. In fact, after the Detroit auto show (when I was car shopping), we went and test drove the R spec 2.0T it's first production year. It was awful, numb, slow, no backseat headroom at all. Right after that I went to a VW dealership and walked out with my GTI the same day.

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
Yeah, the Genesis is all looks and no substance. Nice of you to let him catch up and think he might have a chance. :laughabove:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
2012 Genesis is 210hp
2013 Genesis upped power to 274hp

2012 definately a dog compared to your GTI, they upped power in 2013

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright I finally checked my boost level, I'm all stock.
I just figured it would be a lot closer than it was stock vs stock, but it wasnt.

Anyways, thanks guys.

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a follow up on this, I now have stage 1 United Motor sports Tune, with a Ebay 3" DP.
He has a mail order ECU stage 1 from some major Genesis ppl.

We ran again, he got smoked again..

Loveing the UM tune btw.