GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extra sub-radiator

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
got a part number for that thermostat you used?

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
I didn't use any fender vent but I'll look into it now that you've mentioned it. Virtualheretic, are you talking about the GTI or ED30 thermostat ? I will only see the benefit of the radiator after my next track day (may 13th) but since I've also removed the AC and replaced the Forge + S3 with THS, I won't know exactly how much of the improvement will be from the small radiator !

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
The parts ship today and that will be the only modification I've made to my cooling system, so I'll be able to get a good idea on how it has effected my setup either next week at Streets of Willow or in the end of may at Fastivus (Big Track Willow Springs).

oh, I switched from Hankook Z214 to Hoosiers (245/40/18), got a set used with 80% left on them for $125 each...

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Perfect. What temps did u see until now (gauge or secret code on climatronic)? Please tell us the difference after the next track day !

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
it really depends on weather, usually +90ºF is where things can start to run very warm and I have seen up to 280-290 oil temps, coolant temps are usually about 20º lower than oil. I use really good oil for this reason and I usually will change it out after 2 events, I never drive the car enough to hit 5,000 miles for a oil change.

I discovered last year using the heater and venting out the dash will usually keep the temps under control, even in +95ºF weather, so that's why I thought an extra radiator would really help since the heater does a great job. I don't want to put a lot of strain on the heater core though.

I typically will use my VAD to monitor temps on track.

I noticed once the car starts getting warm it's better to grid the car again and have the temps come down and then go back out, if not the engine gets heat soaked and I loose a lot of power.

I wish I could remove my AC condenser like you did, in California you need A/C.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Are you guys having heating issues during track days or during normal driving? About how much does this setup run? Has anyone tried the mishimoto radiator I dont think it cost too much? I dont have an oil gauge, but my b5 s4 and mki tt used to get hot and would see my water temps rise. Never had that problem with my mkv and I live in a very hot climate. I do have water meth so that could be the reason, but I was stage 2 before I did wm kit and didnt have issues then.
Now the oem dsg cooler looks nice and appears to have a pump in it. I have had problems during canyon drives where I can smell my dsg. Anymore info on this, is it bolt on?

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Only on track issues. Mishimoto radiator helps, isn't the end all solution for my platform (vr6 3.2). If this doesn't work as good as I want I'll use a Spal fan (nascar style), APR uses one on their MKVI GTI...

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Also might want to try some watter wetter or purple ice and run tiny bit more water. It really helps.

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
I already used Mocool and water with little to no pink cooling fluid (which is better on winter but worse on track). Still had overheating issues but Forge twintercooler was blocking the airstream and I've also had a tiny leak on the main radiator. Now, with the forge and s3 replaced by ths + the aircon radiator removed + the small additional water rad installed, the cooling should be very good !

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Cool looking forward to seeing the writeup install. Very thankful for wm right now.

telaio

Ready to race!
What is the VW-coolant having the best performance? I think I should upgrade as I upgrade to a Mishimoto radiator...

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Also interested. I've heard of people using ED30 thermostat, which opens at a lower temp- but the ED30 is a FSI. Unless that doesn't make a difference?

Yeah I forgot Im pretty sure I looked into this a while ago and the thermostat wont work for the TSI.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I'm running G12++, but am going to use G13 when I add this radiator this week. I'm also using the low-temp thermostat from the 2004 R32...

What is the VW-coolant having the best performance? I think I should upgrade as I upgrade to a Mishimoto radiator...