GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Barefoot Runners

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
I asked santa (wife) for a pair for xmas. REI is selling them at a decent price, though I prob won't start running in these until the spring. I'm currently on comp due to a injury at work (3 herniated discs, tore all the ligaments in left knee) I figure once I'm medically cleared around may I'll give them a go. My main hobby is jiu-jitsu & my feet used to be pretty tough, so I figure this will be a good compliment to my training. At our gym we have a indoor track which I run on barefoot alot, but it must be tons different outside or on the trails.

cicatrizdare

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 JSW SEL
I asked santa (wife) for a pair for xmas. REI is selling them at a decent price, though I prob won't start running in these until the spring. I'm currently on comp due to a injury at work (3 herniated discs, tore all the ligaments in left knee) I figure once I'm medically cleared around may I'll give them a go. My main hobby is jiu-jitsu & my feet used to be pretty tough, so I figure this will be a good compliment to my training. At our gym we have a indoor track which I run on barefoot alot, but it must be tons different outside or on the trails.

Holy shit. How did you do that? That's a hell of an injury.

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
Holy shit. How did you do that? That's a hell of an injury.

Got caught under a piece of machinery. I'm a union tradesman, actually had over 10 people die, since I've been on the job so I consider myself lucky. Good pay, but def risky.

gaede

Reset
OP, how do the new "shoes" help with the herniated disk? I as well ennjoy running but have a ruptured disk as well and the tradtional shoe doesnt help much towards it...
well it was an old injury, and running with 'running shoes' the compression was killing me. going barefoot, my back hasn't complained once *knock on wood*
I asked santa (wife) for a pair for xmas. REI is selling them at a decent price,
Did you drop by there and try them on/get fitted? They're supposed to be snug and fit like a glove, otherwise there will be some friction abrasions.

Just a heads up to get the right size, and good luck with your recovery!

gaede

Reset
I'd order them today but tomorrow is cyber monday and amazon might have a deal. I'm psyched.
I would be cautious buying them online, the fitment is very important.

Some interesting quotes from the book...

"Putting your feet in shoes is similar to putting them in a plaster cast," Dr. Hartmann said. "If I put your leg in plaster, we'll find forty to sixty percent atrophy of the musculature within six weeks. Something similar happens to your feet when they're encased in shoes."

When shoes are doing the work, tendons stiffen and muscles shrivel. Feet live for a fight and thrive under pressure; let them laze around, and they'll collapse. Work them out, and they'll arc up like a rainbow.

"I've worked with over a hundred of the best Kenyan runners, and one thing they have in common is a marvelous elasticity in their feet," Dr. Hartmann continued. "That comes from never running in shoes until you're seventeen."
He's not the only medical professional preaching the Barefoot Doctrine. According to Dr. Paul W. Brand, chief of rehab at the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital in Carville, Louisiana, and professor of surgery at Louisiana State University Medical School, we could wipe out every common foot ailment within a generation by kicking off our shoes. As far back as 1976, Dr. Brand was pointing out that nearly every case in his waiting room-corns, bunions, hammer-toes, flat feet, fallen arches,-was nearly nonexistent in countries where most people go barefoot.
-Born to Run

gaede

Reset
So, the holidays have past. Anyone got theirs yet?

I went yesterday and got myself another pair (Vibram Sprints), for my 'daily' shoe, and I'll just use my KSO's/Huaraches for running.

cicatrizdare

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 JSW SEL
Still with my KSO trek sports, but been running more and more.

I was thinking about picking up a pair of the sprints for a daily too, how do you like them with the open top?

Grmncrsnbr

SaurKimchi
Car(s)
2012 Kia Optima
I run and lift in my KSOs and love them, waiting on the Vibram soled New Balance Minimus Trails to come out this spring to use as a daily barefoot shoe.

http://www.newbalance.com/nb-minimus/

For those who want to go barefoot and need to wear dress shoes, a guy I work with rocks these and I may as soon as my current shoes are done.

http://www.terraplana.com/mens.html/

^^^Not cheap.

Chris2.0t

GtI 2>0T
Car(s)
2011 Wrx
yeah this thread is making me want a pair. Lucky for me their is a running store that carriers the vibram's 20mins away, so I can get the best fit.