GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ran my first autocross today!

Rich241

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I ran my first autocross today, the event was at the sears center in Chicago IL and it was a combined event with my club tsscc and and another club scscc. I am now addicted to autocross it was so much fun, I can't wait to get back out there and race again :happyanim:. Throughout the day my times were consistently getting better and I feel that I did fairly well for my first time out there. Any advice for a beginner trying to improve his times?

Congrats on a start. Since I moved out here to Cali, I've done it about twenty times now, and it's still a rush. Blaine is right, do it as often as you can. If you're gonna go that route though, be sure to get more than regular services to your car. Get track wheels and tires too, yours will take a beating.

-FF

Rich241

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Congrats on a start. Since I moved out here to Cali, I've done it about twenty times now, and it's still a rush. Blaine is right, do it as often as you can. If you're gonna go that route though, be sure to get more than regular services to your car. Get track wheels and tires too, yours will take a beating.

-FF

will do thanks for the advice. after my first run I knew I needed some better tires since I still have the stock conti's on. I'm looking for a second set of wheels that I can put some serious rubber on that will give me some better grip on the course.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
Look ahead or go slow, your choice:biggrin:

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Haha you know you cant have your passenger take a video

It looks like a passenger holding the camera, if not ignore this comment

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I ran my first autocross today, the event was at the sears center in Chicago IL and it was a combined event with my club tsscc and and another club scscc. I am now addicted to autocross it was so much fun, I can't wait to get back out there and race again :happyanim:. Throughout the day my times were consistently getting better and I feel that I did fairly well for my first time out there. Any advice for a beginner trying to improve his times?

Shit I wish I had known about this; this is much closer than Maywood Park is. As for improving times, make sure you walk the course. Hang out with the people who have done it before.

You can start messing with tire pressures if you want, but that depends on your preferences and the tire you're using. What tires are you using?

CVO is having an autox May 9 at the Maywood Park in Melrose. You can find more information in the motorsport section of the link in my signature.

What are club tsscc and scscc? Are all their events at the Sears Centre? I'm in Woodstock haha.

Rich241

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Haha you know you cant have your passenger take a video

It looks like a passenger holding the camera, if not ignore this comment

yeah he is holding it haha, we really didn't know that you weren't suppose to hold it in the car :iono:. The guy came back and told us right after he yelled at my passenger for having his arm outside of the window at the end of the video.

Rich241

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Shit I wish I had known about this; this is much closer than Maywood Park is. As for improving times, make sure you walk the course. Hang out with the people who have done it before.

You can start messing with tire pressures if you want, but that depends on your preferences and the tire you're using. What tires are you using?

CVO is having an autox May 9 at the Maywood Park in Melrose. You can find more information in the motorsport section of the link in my signature.

What are club tsscc and scscc? Are all their events at the Sears Centre? I'm in Woodstock haha.

This is my clubs website tsscc, http://www.tsscc.org/
you can see all the race locations there, they race at the sears center, maywood and toyota park. Most of the races for tsscc are at the sears center, they will have two more there this summer. you should come out to them it would be good to have another gti out there. There was only one other mk5 in my class and then there was a mk4 and an 82 rabbit in stx.

This is the website for the other club scscc http://www.scscc.net/
I don't know anything about that club, they just combined there club with ours for that event so it had a pretty big turnout.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Step 1 = get sticky tires
Step 2 = do as many events as possible
Step 3 = after many many events, modify the car more if you wish

Rich241

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Step 1 = get sticky tires
Step 2 = do as many events as possible
Step 3 = after many many events, modify the car more if you wish

what tires do you recommend? I'm still running the stock continentals. My wheels are denvers.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
what tires do you recommend? I'm still running the stock continentals. My wheels are denvers.

Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. Great value, awesome grip, and a surprisingly long tread life. No one on this site has had a bad thing to say about them besides them being kind of loud (which is typical for a high performance tire). Bottom line is that tires are a must. You cannot develop proper technique or proper control of your car racing on all seasons.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
You cannot develop proper technique or proper control of your car racing on all seasons.

that's not quite true. However, if you want to be quick then they are a must.

uscrew96

Ready to race!
You cannot develop proper technique or proper control of your car racing on all seasons.

You can run any tire and be fast. Sticky tires can hide mistakes. Just drive whats on you car till you wear those out, then upgrade.

Best thing to do is to get Seat time, and when at a event ask for someone that's fast to ride with you. You can ask one of the event organizer if you someone can ride with you like a instructor.

Put more air in you tires, when I ran mine Coti's. I ran mine at 45F and 50R to help with rotation.

There are alot of clubs you can AutoX with in Chicago area.
Tri-State, Chicago Region SCCA, Windy city Miata club, and CVO. A lot of folks from Tri-State and Chicago Region come up and run in Milwaukee. They run with Milwaukee Region SCCA, and WAI.

Hope this all helps.:thumbsup: