GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Post Your 1/4mile time thread

errie806

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Never rush on the track! Just don't stage you car.

Taking your time is key to being comfortable up there. Get your head right 2 or 3 cars ahead of your turn on what you're going to do for THIS specific run. Then when it's your turn, avoid the water patch, line up in the groves straight, turn on the first staging yellow but not the 2nd! Yet. Take a deep breath and visualize your launch and 1-2 shift. Don't even pay any attention to the guy next to you. He's irrelevant when you're running for time. Let him stand on his two step for crying out loud if your not ready yet yourself. This is all about you.

Now that you're mentally prepared, inch up to the second staging light, and know that you now have about 3 seconds before the green.

If you rush you will be all out of sync and more then likely mess up on something. Shit seems to happen a lot quicker when you're standing on the starting line. I try to slow it down.

Perfect! lol no lie rev, while i was reading this i was getting the adrenaline pumping. i legit got the EXACT feeling in my body i get when i run the track. Im never gonna look at my tach and deliberately hold. i do it by feel. im more relaxed if i do it that way.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Never rush on the track! Just don't stage you car.

I'm saying that while the other guy is burning out....go get set at the line

Because if you're almost staged & the other guy is already staged....once you creep up to that line for the 2nd stage light, you gotta get your rev's set & then the lights are gonna drop REAL quick....putting you in panic mode or missing the lights and ruining your launch

I think it's better to be staged & ready....that way you can relax while the other guy is staging, then set your revs & be ready for the lights

I'm no pro, but that worked out for me last time. I knew it was coming & was ready

Rev2Ten-K

Banned
^^

That's cool man. To each their own. I'm sure there are a lot of different techniques that are successful. I'm no pro myself.

errie806

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
^^

That's cool man. To each their own. I'm sure there are a lot of different techniques that are successful. I'm no pro myself.

i'd ask what you rev to but that would be just useless lol. do you launch by feel or do you deliberately watch the tach and hold the gas till it reaches the rpms you want?

Rev2Ten-K

Banned
i'd ask what you rev to but that would be just useless lol. do you launch by feel or do you deliberately watch the tach and hold the gas till it reaches the rpms you want?

Depends which car.

In my S2K I launch at a certain RPM. But that's mainly because I have so much experience with that car I almost know what will happen before it even does, if you feel me. There is no substitute for experience. But bottom line it always comes down to feel.

In my G35 I launch in between a certain RPM, but again the final say in the matter comes by feel. A lot of that has to do with the powerband. Torque on tap is nice. In my S I know I have to come out the hole higher then 7500rpm or else I will fall on my face and drop out of VTEC. The G35 has a much more usable powerband down low, so I had to find it's 'sweet spot' in the lower RPM. It's usually in between 3700-4200rpm for optimal traction and little wheel hop.

Now I just bought a G37s and traded in the G35 so I have to learn how to drive all over again. :biggrin:

errie806

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
congrats on the new g37 its a beautiful car. i need more practice at the track with my car. especially with all the new power i have. i never got much practice at all stage 1 and none with stage 2+. i practiced a good amount stock. i have to get the feel i think it'll prob be up around 3.5k

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
Like someone said in this thread (when I asked)....they were saying 2,500 RPM

3,500 might be a little too high & you'll just spin the tires

And yeah, I was just watching the tach & then holding the throttle at 2,500 RPM & then focused on the tree after that

07Noside

Banned
^^^
Like someone said in this thread (when I asked)....they were saying 2,500 RPM

3,500 might be a little too high & you'll just spin the tires

And yeah, I was just watching the tach & then holding the throttle at 2,500 RPM & then focused on the tree after that

3,500 is rediculous lol. For reference I dont do anything by any feel youll have a different launch every time. The only thing you should be doing by feel is after the light turns green and your working the clutch and gas to maintain power, not spinning your wheels, and getting your clutch out as fast as possible all while doing this. I always pinpoint my rev, and I dont sit at the staging lights for ever, you can tell from my R/T's. After a while it becomes second nature how far in Neutral you have to push the pedal to hit 2,500 rpms.Hit it, feel it, and listen. You can tell just from listening and focusing on the lights if your deviating from your launch, Even in that case the standard tree is so long you can always look down and just count 3-2-1 let go. Let it go on the third yellow! I only launch slightly higher than that 27-2800 rpms and I'll bet I'm using the biggest stickiest radials on here lol.

I mean I've been hitting the track almost every other week for this entire season and I still have maybe a 50/50 shot with my launches. It takes a lot of practice because your 60' is just about everything after that its just regular shifting and holding your foot to the floor.

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
congrats on the new g37 its a beautiful car. i need more practice at the track with my car. especially with all the new power i have. i never got much practice at all stage 1 and none with stage 2+. i practiced a good amount stock. i have to get the feel i think it'll prob be up around 3.5k

3,500! your insane!

Im DSG so I dont even have to worry about a clutch and i cant even launch at 2,000 let alone 2500-3000 without spinning or wheel hop.

What track do you go to?

errie806

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
3,500! your insane!

Im DSG so I dont even have to worry about a clutch and i cant even launch at 2,000 let alone 2500-3000 without spinning or wheel hop.

What track do you go to?

OH SHIT. lol i meant 2.5k sorry lol. i go to englishtown. track is super sticky there. if i start to spin i'll feather the pedal. and noside i understand what your saying but i have a tough time looking at my tach to make sure im where i need to be watching the lights and timing the release. i tried that twice and i ran god awful times. i need more practice. but practice=money at the track lol

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
A few of us should get together and hit the track on a friday or something before the end of the season

errie806

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
good idea. once i get cash i'll def hit up englishtown for a big meet.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
A few of us should get together and hit the track on a friday or something before the end of the season

Now that the weather has cleared, I am going to running at Masion Dixon Dragway this Sunday for Test & Tune. After that they one more weekend of Test & Tune back to back on Sat & Sun next weekend, So these will probably be my last three tries to crack into 12's on the k03.

Dynjo

Ready to race!
I'm saying that while the other guy is burning out....go get set at the line

I was told that it is proper "etiquette" to only light the first bulb if you are waiting for your opponent. Once he lights his pre-stage bulb, you can then go ahead and light your second bulb.

The idea is avoid a situation where one guy is sitting there with both bulbs lit and the other guy hasn't come out of the box yet.

Do you guys pay attention to stuff like that or is it trivial to you, like waiting to take a bite of your meal until everyone has been served (LOL. Who does that?)?

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
I was told that it is proper "etiquette" to only light the first bulb if you are waiting for your opponent. Once he lights his pre-stage bulb, you can then go ahead and light your second bulb.

The idea is avoid a situation where one guy is sitting there with both bulbs lit and the other guy hasn't come out of the box yet.

Do you guys pay attention to stuff like that or is it trivial to you, like waiting to take a bite of your meal until everyone has been served (LOL. Who does that?)?

For the bracket events and grudge matches, yes we all try to use the Gentlmen's agreement, esp if someone is staging deep, but with test and tunes, everyone just prestages both sets of lights asap.