GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some help with Coilovers :(

frankiebason

Hi guys! Let me just start things off by saying I'm new here, so if this thread is in the wrong section or anything like that, I apologize in advance. I simply cannot figure out what's going on with my MK5, and I decided to turn to forums to (hopefully) get a better understanding here.

For those of you with coilovers - I recently installed a set of JOM Blue Line Coilovers from ModdedEuros. They're not the most expensive or well-known brand, but I had heard good things and they seemed like a good fit for my budget. Installation went smoothly (entirely new hardware, replaced a CV Joint and a sway bar end link, new mounting pads - basically new everything), and I'm fairly satisfied with the ride height of... almost all of the wheels.

The only problem is that the front passenger side coilover literally will not lower, and I don't know how else to describe it. I can take pics if needed, but my car quite literally does not sit lower after adjusting it. I have about a half inch of threads on the adjustment threading that is basically useless. If I lower the adjustment nut all the way down (I've heard from others that this is enough to completely slam the car), the car will not lower. Don't get me wrong, it definitely sits lower than factory suspension - but it's almost like there is something else locking it in place. Could it be the sway bar end links? Adjustables are available for sale from numerous companies. The top 3/4 of the threading works flawlessly, but I cannot get the car to sit any lower. Measuring from the inner bead of the tire (hard to explain) to the center of the fender in the wheel well, I cannot get the suspension to drop to less than a 4 inch gap. I also have this problem with the drivers side, but that side will sit slightly lower at about 3.8 inches.

Some solutions that I thought it could have been were the adjustable sway bar end links, and some kind of ride height sensor on that side. The passenger side also happens to be the same side I replaced an OEM Sway Bar end link, so it's possible I installed the wrong one or it is upside down.

Really any insight on this situation is useful. The simplest way to put it is that when I lower the adjustment nut on the ride height threading, the car does not lower past a certain point. I can run that nut all the way to the end, or leave it a half inch up the threads with no ride height difference.

Thanks in advance!

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Are the helper springs (small ones) installed or does it even come with them? Is the strut completely seated in the spindle to where it touches the base of the strut?

If it has the helpers installed, remove them

frankiebason

Are the helper springs (small ones) installed or does it even come with them? Is the strut completely seated in the spindle to where it touches the base of the strut?

If it has the helpers installed, remove them

No helper springs, just one big, blue spring (running the JOM Blue Line Coilovers). Not entirely sure what you meant by wether or not the strut is completely seated in the spindle. Could you explain? sorry i’m a bit new when it comes to this stuff. My Mk5 is my first car and this is my first suspension upgrade

frankiebason

bump.

going to take the car apart tomorrow, remove the sway bar end links and drop it back down stationary to see if the car will indeed go lower and that's what's holding it. ive read forum posts about frame notching, and i am NOT excited...

would really appreciate some help with this.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
No helper springs, just one big, blue spring (running the JOM Blue Line Coilovers). Not entirely sure what you meant by wether or not the strut is completely seated in the spindle. Could you explain? sorry i’m a bit new when it comes to this stuff. My Mk5 is my first car and this is my first suspension upgrade

There is a lip on the spindle that the base of the strut will sit against, when it's fully inserted