GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A build I am very happy with - got all my info on this forum

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
GIACUser, looking at that picture you posted with the bracket, you're going to need a shorter bolt for all 3 bolt positions. Since the mount no longer ties the 3 points together and doesn't have the OEM style mount. So especially the outer bolt that goes to the subframe will need to be shorterebuilt unless there's enough room on the other side of the threads. Does it include all hardware?

Got you PM, figured I'd respond in here so others are informed as well. Basically, you have to think of the wheel base to track width as a ratio. The longer the wheel base the more straight line high speed stability to you have (example: rail cars/dragsters). On the flip side of that, the wider track width you have the more stability in turns you have (example: shifter kart). There is a theoretical perfect ratio but no actual agreed upon one in the racing community since everyone's needs or use is different. Using a gokart as an example here, they have tons of grip in the turns right? But when you exceed the mechanical or created grip the end result is a violent loss of that grip and a very uncontrollable ammount of spin/rotation. The reason for this is most high speed Racing karts are 50:50 in wheel base and track width. Now apply the same theory to a car with 5-10× the ammount of weight, speeds 2-3× higher and power obviously higher. While I wider car can indeed provide more stability and physical mechanical grip via wider tires the closer you get to wheel base width track width the more violent loss of grip becomes. I've found with our cars, due to the shorter wheel base than most there's only so much wide you can do before the car becomes very unpredictable at the limit of grip. Now look at the car from the top down and use simple geometry and physics to see what different shapes will do when pushed passed their limits. A square will spin with much more ease than a rectangle. Now imagine them as three dimensional objects, a very skinny rectangle will topple easily to one side as you push at the top fulcrum, make it wider and it becomes more difficult to knock over. Finding the right balance between track width and wheel base is tricky, I've been working on it for 3 years now. Applying what I just talked about you can see that there is indeed a point when you are too wide and no suspension or geometry altering chassis work can change that.

What I've come to find as the sweet spot on our cars is 40-45mm wider per corner which totals to 80-90mm wider per axle (front and back) From that point it was about dialing in scrub radius, toe, caster, etc to work with the widened geometry of the car. I've also found that ~1.5"-2" lower than stock is about as low as you want to go. There are some things you can do to correct roll center if you go lower but the added stress on components and price to do it correctly doesn't outweigh the benefits.

Hopefully this helps you understand what I meant when I said "turns it into a top".

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
GIACUser, looking at that picture you posted with the bracket, you're going to need a shorter bolt for all 3 bolt positions. Since the mount no longer ties the 3 points together and doesn't have the OEM style mount. So especially the outer bolt that goes to the subframe will need to be shorterebuilt unless there's enough room on the other side of the threads. Does it include all hardware?

Got you PM, figured I'd respond in here so others are informed as well. Basically, you have to think of the wheel base to track width as a ratio. The longer the wheel base the more straight line high speed stability to you have (example: rail cars/dragsters). On the flip side of that, the wider track width you have the more stability in turns you have (example: shifter kart). There is a theoretical perfect ratio but no actual agreed upon one in the racing community since everyone's needs or use is different. Using a gokart as an example here, they have tons of grip in the turns right? But when you exceed the mechanical or created grip the end result is a violent loss of that grip and a very uncontrollable ammount of spin/rotation. The reason for this is most high speed Racing karts are 50:50 in wheel base and track width. Now apply the same theory to a car with 5-10× the ammount of weight, speeds 2-3× higher and power obviously higher. While I wider car can indeed provide more stability and physical mechanical grip via wider tires the closer you get to wheel base width track width the more violent loss of grip becomes. I've found with our cars, due to the shorter wheel base than most there's only so much wide you can do before the car becomes very unpredictable at the limit of grip. Now look at the car from the top down and use simple geometry and physics to see what different shapes will do when pushed passed their limits. A square will spin with much more ease than a rectangle. Now imagine them as three dimensional objects, a very skinny rectangle will topple easily to one side as you push at the top fulcrum, make it wider and it becomes more difficult to knock over. Finding the right balance between track width and wheel base is tricky, I've been working on it for 3 years now. Applying what I just talked about you can see that there is indeed a point when you are too wide and no suspension or geometry altering chassis work can change that.

What I've come to find as the sweet spot on our cars is 40-45mm wider per corner which totals to 80-90mm wider per axle (front and back) From that point it was about dialing in scrub radius, toe, caster, etc to work with the widened geometry of the car. I've also found that ~1.5"-2" lower than stock is about as low as you want to go. There are some things you can do to correct roll center if you go lower but the added stress on components and price to do it correctly doesn't outweigh the benefits.

Hopefully this helps you understand what I meant when I said "turns it into a top".

Excellent information... Thank you

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
More new stuff going in. With this new build I must have new gauges right. So I decided to try one of the many software apps that can run on phones/pads. The apps get OBDII info from the car via a wifi or bluetooth dongle. The apps are cool and can do a lot including simulate a regular dashboard. I found a nice mounting system for the dash, goes right over the radio and allows you to slide the pad in or out easily. So the dongle came in today and I hooked it up to the Audi. It connected in about 3 seconds and it was ready to go. The gauge style and size are user customizable and look great. On a regular iPad you can run 6 readable gauges on a single screen but you can have multiple screens. So you can swipe to a different set of gauges.

I am in the process of switching to all Apple equipment but I also have Win stuff too. Anyway I chose to go Apple as I had a spare iPad. Relatively speaking there are only a few decent ios apps of this type but more on the Android platform.

Fusion OBD software 9.99 (ipad)
Carista Bluetooth dongle 35.00 from Amazon

I think I am going to go with the Padbay ipad holder that mounts to radio mount holes, very sturdy. Cost of that on Amazon is 85.85LINK

Note- I was concerned about lag which is really not that important since I am not using it as a dash (rpm, speedo, oil temp etc) like some people do. The tach lagged on very slightly behind the tach on the dash, very slight. I might use it as an excuse to buy the newer iPad which has a faster processor to minimize it. The gauges look fantastic on the iPad.(opinion) The pic below is just the default screen of gauges, none have been altered. You can customize size, type and pick from all the OBDII output stuff.

Anyway, just a first impression, need to use it for a while to see if it works in the real world. More to follow much further down the road when my car is back up and running.

[/UR

[URL=http://s1051.photobucket.com/user/GIACUser/media/IMG_5348_zpswr4zhfsg.jpg.html]

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Tubular Control arms arrived

Front Control Arms came in today from epiceurotuning. Will post install and review of course.

Last edited:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
So it looks like your engine build is taking as long as mine. What’s the current status on yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So it looks like your engine build is taking as long as mine. What’s the current status on yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am supposed to get mine back this week from the machine shop. I started this in April... Bought a second motor, machinist eventually got around to boring it and determined it was not usable, that was in June. So I pulled my car off road and had my motor pulled and sent to him. There was a small issue with the ARP bolt kit (needed it for line bore) and ARP had not properly packaged the bolts, that put us back a bit. ARP did courier out the correct bolts to their credit.

Anyway, once the motor comes back Chris can assemble it in a matter of days and we have all parts on the bench ready to go. I made the mistake of saying I would be patient about the machine work. If you want it done you have to make noise. Any of the good shops are busy and will gladly delay your work if you let them.

So that is where I am. Almost to the point of engine assembly. Woo Hoo...

Where are you at?

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
As much as I love my mechanic, he's doing my build in his free time and he's had some life issues come up recently, so progress is slow. My block and head are done at the machine shop, all parts have arrived, and its just waiting on assembly, break-in, tune, more meth control, and bang! I do need to rebuild an axle (part of the rod shot through it) so that I get it on the road prior to Stage 2 (transmission reinforcement and race axle install).

Fun times, I'm not sure if I'm happy that the other EFR builds (yours and Mostics) aren't done yet or sad...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Welcome Home from the machine shop!!! Unfortunately head not ready until next week. Oh well, some work can at least begin

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
As much as I love my mechanic, he's doing my build in his free time and he's had some life issues come up recently, so progress is slow. My block and head are done at the machine shop, all parts have arrived, and its just waiting on assembly, break-in, tune, more meth control, and bang! I do need to rebuild an axle (part of the rod shot through it) so that I get it on the road prior to Stage 2 (transmission reinforcement and race axle install).

Fun times, I'm not sure if I'm happy that the other EFR builds (yours and Mostics) aren't done yet or sad...

If I had it to do over I would have just bought a complete race motor from IE so I could have gotten to this project in a reasonable time.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So I am thinking about all the effort I am going to in order to get to 500whp and then I read just how easy it is to do with a MK7 GTI. So impressive.

They are doing this on a stock motor, wonder how long it will last.

2017 GTI PP
VTT Cast Stage 2 turbocharger upgrade
Custom UM tune
Custom Twin Walbro LPFP set up in tank
PR Port injection kit 1300CC injectors
IE Intercooler
UM Flex kit
4 bar map sensors
ECS intake
ECS Charge pipe kit
ATP downpipe
Cobb Exhaust
UM DSG Tune
E80 in the tank

1st Graph STD Correction: 523.97WH/462.22WTQ
2nd Graph SAE Correction: 511.36WHP/451.09WTQ
3rd Graph Uncorrected: 515.39/454.65WTQ
4th Graph STD correction overlaid with IS38 27-22 PSI - To be clear. USED ONLY FOR SPOOL COMPARISON! The IS38 was on 91 tune

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I mean, they do make serious power. I also see an alarming amount of Mk7's blowing up, with stage 2 running the OEM IS20 turbo and the IS38 turbo. So, with this kind of power and stock block? Reliability probably isn't great.

I know of an IS38 swapped Mk7 with DSG that made 383whp on a Mustang dyno - mine made 233whp on the same dyno with Stg 2 Unitronic at the time (never dynoed with K04). He ended up blowing the engine up and VW good willed it (APR VW dealer that did the swap) but it had all of 20k on it hahaha. It was like a $13k job.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So for tuning purposes I have to have a manual boost controller in place to avoid overboost of course. Decided on a Hallman Pro unit.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
So I am thinking about all the effort I am going to in order to get to 500whp and then I read just how easy it is to do with a MK7 GTI. So impressive.

They are doing this on a stock motor, wonder how long it will last.

2017 GTI PP
VTT Cast Stage 2 turbocharger upgrade
Custom UM tune
Custom Twin Walbro LPFP set up in tank
PR Port injection kit 1300CC injectors
IE Intercooler
UM Flex kit
4 bar map sensors
ECS intake
ECS Charge pipe kit
ATP downpipe
Cobb Exhaust
UM DSG Tune
E80 in the tank

1st Graph STD Correction: 523.97WH/462.22WTQ
2nd Graph SAE Correction: 511.36WHP/451.09WTQ
3rd Graph Uncorrected: 515.39/454.65WTQ
4th Graph STD correction overlaid with IS38 27-22 PSI - To be clear. USED ONLY FOR SPOOL COMPARISON! The IS38 was on 91 tune

I can guarantee yours will outlast and out perform that setup (well clearly since it blew up). You could have strapped the entire turbo setup you got onto your stock motor and gotten a little life out of it to lol. There's no where near the ammount of support for building a motor on a MK7 than there is on an FSI. Hell, even the gen 1/2 TSI doesn't have a ton of support yet but it's getting there. I'm speaking in regards to building a full race motor.

Obviously I am biased, but I for one am seriously looking forward to seeing how this all turns out for you, especially since I'm right behind you in terms of motor build, etc. Once it's all done would love to take a trip out to you and see/experience this monster you are building in person.