GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Like every VW gearhead I know has a project that seems to never start and has taken residence in a trailer or garage, most of them are Corrados though.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Hey, modding these things can be just as much fun as driving them for many. No shame here.

I agree 100%. I honestly have just as much fun building it as I do driving it. It also helps that I do all my own work, the feeling of walking out to it and knowing that's just me and a lot of time that's built this thing is a very very good feeling. Definition of built not bought.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Like every VW gearhead I know has a project that seems to never start and has taken residence in a trailer or garage, most of them are Corrados though.

At least mine runs and drives and is ready at the beginning of every season. It's just never done lol, as soon as I finish the winters project I already have something else lined up I want to do. Down it every winter for stuff but have it ready every spring.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1

Lmao. Meanwhile, my dads 34,000 mile, 1993 Corrado SLC is running problem free and my 2006 GTI is down...yet again.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
What happened now!? Or is this the same thing we just dealt with a couple months back?

Same thing haha. Really need to find motivation. Could've been driving it this weekend! Remember that sound when I started it? Reading up on it more, that's the cam chain tensioner/chain itself. Should've just replaced all of it when we were there lol

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Same thing haha. Really need to find motivation. Could've been driving it this weekend! Remember that sound when I started it? Reading up on it more, that's the cam chain tensioner/chain itself. Should've just replaced all of it when we were there lol

Why would the sound all of a sudden happen like that adter we did the housing? Coincidence? You sure it isn't that valve in the used housing we used?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Why would the sound all of a sudden happen like that adter we did the housing? Coincidence? You sure it isn't that valve in the used housing we used?

I'm pretty sure it's the seals that are part of the cylinder on the housing itself causing the issue. Those were original to the piece we swapped it with. I had that "low on oil valve train" sound before we touched anything which I've concluded after reading into it that could be the cam chain tensioner. It is original to the car at 154k. Instead of just replacing the seals on the cylinder, I'm going do it all. New tensioner, seals for the cylinder, valve cover gasket, chain, etc.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...in-and-Tensioner-*BPY-engines#/topics/7013321

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I'm pretty sure it's the seals that are part of the cylinder on the housing itself causing the issue. Those were original to the piece we swapped it with. I had that "low on oil valve train" sound before we touched anything which I've concluded after reading into it that could be the cam chain tensioner. It is original to the car at 154k. Instead of just replacing the seals on the cylinder, I'm going do it all. New tensioner, seals for the cylinder, valve cover gasket, chain, etc.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...in-and-Tensioner-*BPY-engines#/topics/7013321

Yeah my my motor build cost keeps going up since I keep adding things lol. Basically just buying all new parts for it, only main things not "new" are the block and head lol.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Yeah my my motor build cost keeps going up since I keep adding things lol. Basically just buying all new parts for it, only main things not "new" are the block and head lol.

Exactly what I am going through. Since my car is about 10 years old I am basically replacing all tubing, sensors along with starter, air cond comp, alternator, all belts, chains, tensioners, water pump/thermostat anything that could fail basically. It is expensive to build a high perf motor from an older motor if you also want new like reliability.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1

It's disturbing how quick it adds up! New BSH engine and trans mounts are in. Just have to tackle this now.