GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'06 GTI HIDs not working

Manfred33

So, my passenger side HID was not working. I just replaced the OEM bulbs two years ago with some ZIZAs from ECS. Install was not too bad, but not easy either. In any case, I figured that it was probably a bad bulb and got a set of new bulbs, Morimotos, since ZIZA doesn't make them anymore for the Mkv. Once I got the igniter off, I had a HELLUVA time getting the ring off. Took the bulb out and did not really notice anything wrong with it, but decided to put in the new bulb just to be sure. Had an even harder time trying to get everything back on correctly. I did eventually, but to no avail- the bulb still did not come on. Figured it was not the bulb so decided to swap the driver's side igniter to see if that was the problem... Struggled further trying to get those mounting rings and the igniters back on, but finally did... Still no luck. Was going to switch them again, but ended up breaking both mounting rings trying to get them on after switching and ended up getting really frustrated.

So, I bought two new mounting rings, as well as a new igniter, which I just tried today with the old ZIZA bulbs, because I read about the Morimotos not being that great and got nothing. SO, now I am back to troubleshooting. My problem is this- I know that there is the ballast that could be the problem, or it could be a fuse, but I haven't figured out which fuse controls the headlamps yet...anyone know what fuse to check??

My other issue is, that almost all the insulation on the wiring inside both headlamps has fallen off. Most likely due to the car being in Key West for the last 5 years and the heat is atrocious down there and my car typically had no shade, let alone a garage. Do I bother trying the ballast, or bite the bullet and get some new lamp units? I don't know if they come with the ballast or will i be using the same ones I have, in which case I may need to replace them anyways? I doubt that they come with that, so I don't know what to do...

Really in a pickle here, because I can't take my car anywhere right now, because it is our only car for at least another week. I really don't want to take out the headlamps, because that is a PITA, but i will if I have to; I'd like to refurbish my lenses again, and it would be much easier if they are out of the car. Been there, done that.

I have not taken it in yet to get any fault codes read yet; I plan on it, since I have a check engine light anyways, and I need to have that fixed to pass emissions testing, but was attempting to try to get it fixed beforehand. In any case, looking for some sage advice....thanks!

Manfred33

Wow, so no one had any insight.... Huh, hard to believe, but not really i guess, just disappointing...

Anyways, i got them working again, but I had to buy new housings. The wiring harness on the inside had lost most of the insulation on the wires and I think that they must have been touching and shorting both sides out, but I don't know for sure. What I do know is that the same bulbs, ignitors and ballast worked with the new housings, with the exception of the ballast on the passenger side. That one I had to swap with one I bought off of eBay. In the end, I am not too upset about buying the new housings even though they cost a pretty penny, but now I don't have to fart around with refurbishing the lenses on the old ones, which I really didn't want to do again. Anyways...

Now, my only issue is that they are not auto leveling. I know that when they are first turned on, they go through a sort of self-test by angling towards the ground and back up again... They are not doing that now at all. Not sure what the reason is for that. I read another thread on here that says to check the leveling arm that is located down by the axle on the driver's side front and back. I checked the one in front (totally forgot to check the back) but it is connected. So I am wondering, I think there is a motor that has this duty of leveling the lights while driving, but I don't know where that motor is. I don't imagine it is part of the housing (the new ones I just installed) or if it is located somewhere else. Anybody know this info? It's not a terribly big deal, but it would be nice if the sh*t worked the way it is supposed to after dropping close to $800 on these things... I have a check engine light as well as an airbag light that needs to be checked out, but the less I gotta pay some guy to troubleshoot this stuff the better.... So anything would be appreciated.

Thanks.