GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help, drivers headlight

StarsMars

My drivers side parking and turn signal went out. I replaced both of those bulbs. Nothing changed. Swapped the fuses, still nothing.

A week passed and now all the lights in the unit are out. It's a newer unit that was replaced after an accident a few years ago. So all the wires are very new.
Pretty stumped.

StarsMars

Update
When standing next to the light and the hood open. I have someone turn the light switch and I hear a short buzzing noise coming from under the headlight assembly.

Ballast?

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
Most likely ballast if the entire side is out. Have you checked the power at the headlight enclosure? The plug is on the right side (if you're looking down from above).

StarsMars

According to the stealership, the wiring in the headlight shorted and fried the module/ballast for the leveling

They want $1100 to replace the headlight and ballast.

I ordered a new ballast off amazon for $50.
I'm going to double check what exactly the diagnosis said about replacing the headlight itself.

elcubanomk5

Update
When standing next to the light and the hood open. I have someone turn the light switch and I hear a short buzzing noise coming from under the headlight assembly.

Ballast?

I’m actually dealing with this as we speak. I bought my gti with a bad driver headlight. The internal xenon headlight wiring was fried from the igniter to the ballast and I re wired it. The ballast was bad also and I replaced it. I even replaced the switch. I tried it on the passenger side and it works fine but it won’t work on the driver side... I checked fuses and all and nothing. I’m thinking it’s the harness or the control module under the dash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarsMars

I’m actually dealing with this as we speak. I bought my gti with a bad driver headlight. The internal xenon headlight wiring was fried from the igniter to the ballast and I re wired it. The ballast was bad also and I replaced it. I even replaced the switch. I tried it on the passenger side and it works fine but it won’t work on the driver side... I checked fuses and all and nothing. I’m thinking it’s the harness or the control module under the dash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God I hope I don't run into that. My ballast comes in today. I still have to order an assembly. Let me know what happens.

StarsMars

Update
I'm in the middle of changing the oil, filters, spark plugs and coils. My bumper has been pulled off by a parking stop and will occasionally hang forward until I put it back into place.
Anyways..I notice the wiring harness that goes to the fog light, side mark turn signal and headlight assembly has a small wire hanging out of it that is disconnected. I'm going to grab some connectors and a wire stripper.

I'm betting that solves this problem.