GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking injector seal.. Help please

Stevewilson1983

Please excuse the double post of a question.. I asked this in an existing thread on intake valve cleaning, but then I realized I'm limiting who will see it.

I finished cleaning my valves on my fsi, and all 4 of the blue fuel rail-to-injector seals stayed in the fuel rail, so I assumed this is what is supposed to happen (the pdfs I've read don't say either way). All 4 injectors stayed in the head.

Well today I reassembled, and there's fuel leaking somewhere in there. Are the blue seals supposed to stay on the injectors, and if so, when I pull it apart again, is it okay to just pull them out of the fuel rail and stick them on the injectors, or is there a more intricate procedure like the white seals on the other end of the injectors?

Thanks for your time!

dmfracer

Ready to race!
There's an o-ring seal, then a ceramic spacer/seal, then a Teflon seal which is the probably the one that is leaking. Unfortunately you need a $250 dollar special tool to change that seal. This might be a job for the dealer. Sorry for the bad news.

Stevewilson1983

There's an o-ring seal, then a ceramic spacer/seal, then a Teflon seal which is the probably the one that is leaking. Unfortunately you need a $250 dollar special tool to change that seal. This might be a job for the dealer. Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking it's actually the rear seal (between injector and fuel rail).. The blue o-rings pulled off in the runners of the fuel rail when I removed the intake manifold (fuel injectors stayed in the head), and since all 4 did it, I assumed that was how it was supposed to be. I have since found a video from The Humble Mechanic resealing injectors, and the blue o-ring is definitely supposed to be on the injector ahead of time. My guess is that since it was in the runner, the back side of the injector just shoved it further down into the fuel rail. Watching his video, he just puts the rear o-ring on by hand..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boVEdoayfn4

Either way I'll pull it apart and see what I can find. Worst case I save myself a little bit of labour $ since it's already disassembled. :smile:

I'm glad I kept my tdi for one more winter before going down to just one car.. looks like the gti won't be up and running in a weekend.

If anyone has any thoughts / experience with this, I'd be glad to hear it.

Last edited:

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Ok, that's good - I thought you had said the injector(s) came out of the head. You should be able to get it to seal back up with O-rings. I have some spares if you want them let me know. I'll send them up to you for free. :)

Dave

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking it's actually the rear seal (between injector and fuel rail).. The blue o-rings pulled off in the runners of the fuel rail when I removed the intake manifold (fuel injectors stayed in the head), and since all 4 did it, I assumed that was how it was supposed to be. I have since found a video from The Humble Mechanic resealing injectors, and the blue o-ring is definitely supposed to be on the injector ahead of time. My guess is that since it was in the runner, the back side of the injector just shoved it further down into the fuel rail. Watching his video, he just puts the rear o-ring on by hand..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boVEdoayfn4

Either way I'll pull it apart and see what I can find. Worst case I save myself a little bit of labour $ since it's already disassembled. :smile:

I'm glad I kept my tdi for one more winter before going down to just one car.. looks like the gti won't be up and running in a weekend.

If anyone has any thoughts / experience with this, I'd be glad to hear it.

Stevewilson1983

Ok, that's good - I thought you had said the injector(s) came out of the head. You should be able to get it to seal back up with O-rings. I have some spares if you want them let me know. I'll send them up to you for free. :)

Dave

Wow, thanks, that's awesome. I think I'm okay though. I inspected mine (while they were in fuel rail, cuz like a dope, I thought that's where they should be) before I reinstall the intake manifold, and they looked okay.. no tears or anything.

In the video I linked last msg (@ 6:28), he shows 2 things going on the back side.. first a nylon washer, then the blue seal. The video doesn't say specifically what motor the injector is from, so I was just curious if you know if the fsi has both of those.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Steve, not sure if my private messages are going through. For the steering light/ESC lights try a Steering Limit Adaptation. From Ross-Tech:

Special Procedures
Steering Limit Stop Adaptation
(Engine still running)
Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for 10 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for 10 seconds.
Center steering wheel (±10°).
Switch OFF engine and ignition.
Switch ON ignition.
Wait 5 seconds.
Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

And the link: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist#Steering_Limit_Stop_Adaptation

=Dave

Stevewilson1983

Ya, mine don't seem to show up in my sent folder either, but thanks a lot, I did get it!

For anyone reading this in the future, yes, fsi injectors do have a nylon washer behind the blue o-ring. (that seems unclear.. if the injector is in the head, the nylon washer would go on first, then the o-ring)

And if your o-rings come off in the fuel rail, that's not where they're supposed to be! I thought they were meant to seal up against the rear of the injector when the fuel rail/manifold is re-installed, and it cost me an extra 3 hrs of disassembly / reassembly. Fish them out of the fuel rail, and slip them onto the injector. They'll slide right up against the nylon washer, which in my case was still on the injector.

Steve, not sure if my private messages are going through. For the steering light/ESC lights try a Steering Limit Adaptation. From Ross-Tech:

Special Procedures
Steering Limit Stop Adaptation
(Engine still running)
Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for 10 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for 10 seconds.
Center steering wheel (±10°).
Switch OFF engine and ignition.
Switch ON ignition.
Wait 5 seconds.
Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

And the link: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist#Steering_Limit_Stop_Adaptation

=Dave