GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

kevvve's e30 BUILDTHREAD

kevvve

TÜ MÄDR3
YES. I know its another buildthread. I enjoy keeping track of the cars I work on. And why not share with people that appreciate a decent build.

About a couple ago I picked up this 1987 325e. I picked this up from a good friend of mine, Misha aka "rat4life". Those of you that are active on VWvortex or have had your car bagged by him will be familiar with his name. The guy is pretty much a legend when it comes to bagging cars and does the cleanest installs around. He had a 325is that was sold before I had the money to buy it off him http://www.drivenmotive.com/the-american-dream/. Knowing how bad I wanted that car he kept an eye for another unmolested e30 and found this car in Tennessee which he drove down and bought from the original owner who bought the car in '87. The car is in great shape in my opinion and is a perfect start for an awesome project. Misha took car of much of maintenance and handed me over the keys once everything was done. Since then I have been dailying this car to and from work and enjoying every minute of it.

The plans for this car goes as follows:
Respray: the original paint is faded and doesn't look good
Nardi steering wheel
Euro smileys
Euro grilles
Bag it
new emblems
find window trim and shadowline it
tuck bumpers
mono wiper
wheels...not sure what exactly yet
and replace the old aftermarker blaunkput radio for something a little more updated

Small preview of whats to come in the next couple of weeks.

8/1/12

My Nardi wheel and hub came in today. I have to say this thing is beautiful and so classy. I've seen nardi wheels in person but never a wooden one. The spokes sparkle and the wood is just flawless. By far my favorite steering wheel. Now to find a DIY to install this badboy... Anyone have any leads?? If I can't come up with one I'll have to whip out my Bentley manual and figure it out on my own.

UPDATE 8/2/12: got home from watching The Dark Knight Rises. with my grandfather. SICK MOVIE. Decided to hang with buddies Mike Barry and Furby and decided to go ahead and tackle this install. Install is very very straight forward. Took half hour tops. Pop off the emblem, loosen the center bolt, remove wheel, put adapter on, attach wheel, and push in horn button. I wasn't able to figure out the horn button. I might do a train horn with the air install or something "fun" like that.

Impression? I FUCKING LOVE THIS WHEEL. I went with a 330mm wheel and its tiny but not by much. It feels great and man I don't know what else to say. I LOVE IT. Onto some pictures shot with my iphone.

8/4/12
Update

Euro clock and euro smileys arrived today. The passenger side smiley arrived damaged so have to go back, be inspected and exchanged. Kinda a buzzkill but NBD since I havent ordered the euro grilles or hid kit yet. I want to take care of it all in one shot.

Pics of the damage.

UPDATE 8/13/12: Vagfair was this past weekend soo I had to get the e30 "ready" for another show. Nothing serious yet just installed the euroclock which I absolutely love. Adds a nice touch of refinement to the interior. and upgraded the headunit. The old blaupunkt was outdated and wouldnt pick up many stations. New headunit with usb port FTW. Thanks to my buddies furby and claudio for helping out. Some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Not air'd out at the pump. will change this week;)

Update: while roaming the interwebz I came across these mk2 power recaros for a decent price. Unfortunately I am away on vacation and couldnt pick them up until Tuesday but after a few phone calls and a little planning my buddy and our very own Brian was able to pick them up for me. They are good shape. Diaphragm look good no tears or burn holes. Driver side thigh bolster is a little soft/flat and needs to be replaced. I plan on having these rewrapped not exactly sure in what kind of material or color yet. I was thinking a shade of brown/tan like peanut butter. I been in touch with Ron at JJCUSTOMS to figure the details out. For now I'll leave you with some photos.

8/23/12 Update: It's bagged. I'll post up more pics this weekend.

8/28/12:

Drivenmotive.com feature: http://www.drivenmotive.com/welcome-to-the-family/#more-1075

enjoy.

Last edited:

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
this looks fun.

i was so close to buying a 89 e30 when my gti was totaled.

SO CLOSE. wanted to do an S52 swap.

but. i bought something new instead.

i'll be keeping a close eye on this. i love e30's.

kevvve

TÜ MÄDR3
5.0 swap it
m60 swap would be sooo sick.

this looks fun.

i was so close to buying a 89 e30 when my gti was totaled.

SO CLOSE. wanted to do an S52 swap.

but. i bought something new instead.

i'll be keeping a close eye on this. i love e30's.
Needs a swap soo bad. The "Economical" engine is so slow. The inline 6 sounds pretty sick but rev limit of 5k is killing me. It'll probably be the last thing that happens to this car. The engine runs strong and Im not exactly sure what I would like to swap into it. I was thinking s52/s54

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
LS1 if you go with a domestic engine!!!! haha

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
it was so funny when you were revving while you were drunk :lol:

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Shortly before this. :lol: :lol: :bellyroll: