GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The MK5 has a new friend (MK2 content)

A1an

Hellafunctional
Behold the $500 1989 Wolfsburg Jetta and the 8v 1.8l of fury! Pretty good shape aside from a few rust spots that I will be addressing shortly. Currently has a euro GTI cam and an adjustable cam gear. Needs me to finish up the timing belt job and hunt down a few misc things to run.

Immediate future plans include getting it running, cleaning the interior, getting rid of the skull shift knob, new tires mounted on the spare set of Imolas that came with the vehicle, roof rack w/bike carriers, and addressing rust. Future plans include coilovers, regular maintenance crap (including valve seals), and refinishing the Speedlines. Way down the road I want to do an ABA bottom end swap.

Some of the rust... :thumbdown:

The Jetta and the wife's MKV Rabbit should be a cute couple:
[/QUOTE]

zex021

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 BM GLI 6MT
Not too bad. Been working on my 1991 jetta 1.8 8v for a bit now. its actually in for paint right now. you should have fun....

whats preventing it from running or you not sure?

Hound

Ready to race!
nice man, i too also picked up a project car, 1996 Harlequin Golf. look forward to seeing pics as the progress on this starts! Good luck!

apepin

v-dub driver
Car(s)
2007 CW mkv gti
what bike attachment (and who makes it) on your OEM roof rack rails?

A1an

Hellafunctional
Prior owner dropped the power steering pump to do the timing belt for some reason. No idea why. I'm trying to decide whether or not to yank it now and loop the rack or mount it back up. Last time I drove a FWD car w/o power steering was my brother's CRX about 10-years ago...and I really didn't like the feel for a daily driver.

All it supposedly needs to run is for me to finish up the timing belt job and put it back together. It also has some misc loose wires that I found in the engine compartment (two of which I cannot locate a home for...even with the Bently manual). Battery is toast so I need a new one of those as well. Everytime I look at it I find something else it needs.

The skull knob and blue boot are going to be yanked. I found my old Kamei rubber golf ball shift knob that will be going in (and I want to find an older MK2 rubber shift boot as well).

A1an

Hellafunctional
what bike attachment (and who makes it) on your OEM roof rack rails?

Thule Velo Vice Pro fork mount carriers. Purchased them through the VW parts dept (the ones in the VW accessory catalog are Thule). They are very nice carriers for the money. I think I only paid $110 for each.

A1an

Hellafunctional
nice man, i too also picked up a project car, 1996 Harlequin Golf. look forward to seeing pics as the progress on this starts! Good luck!

Man...you have no idea how jealous I am of your find. I have been on the hunt for a Harlequin on and off for about five years. We found one about three years ago up in GA but we passed on it (owner wanted too much money for the body work it needed).

I promise to post up status photos of the MK2 if you promise to show your Harlequin. :thumbsup: