GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: fit 255 wide tires and still slam

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
I have PSS9 with genuine upper too. With max lowered ride hight, you only have -1.1 to -1.2 deg camber for the front.

But with max lowered setting, I hit under cover and oilpan when I drive Tokyo Metro EXPWY. So I adjusted 1 inch higher, now I have a camber -1deg for the front.

leegf

(OO=[][]=OO)
tires in action:

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobmacmillan/

AznRac3rPOI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI
So, excuse me if I'm slow... :frown:
but then it has adjustment from factory or just the rears.

and if so, could anyone snap a picture of where?

Thanks a bunch

There is only factory adjustment for camber in the rear. With raising and lowering the car the camber will change due to the weight pushing down on the suspension

wizzo

Ready to race!
with H&R sport springs, would i be able to run an 8 inch rim? or 8.5 inch rim? and whats the widest tire i could go :)?

Zach L

VR junkie
with H&R sport springs, would i be able to run an 8 inch rim? or 8.5 inch rim? and whats the widest tire i could go :)?

yes

wizzo

Ready to race!
and whats the widest tire i would be able to fit?

wizzo

Ready to race!
anyone?

telaio

Ready to race!
Thread resurrect!

R32 stock Euro height, wheels 18x8 ET45. Can I fit in 255/35/18 rubberz without massive trouble? It seems to me that it should fit in the rear without problems, but how about the front? The diameter is practically identical to stock 225s, which should make life easier and I'm not planning to lower the car.

Will it work?

telaio

Ready to race!
should work
I'm hoping so, your pics of increased contact patch size are quite impressive. Do you notice the added grip in cornering compared with stock width?

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
I have 255 wide tires on 8" OZ's currently. And I wont do it again. IMO you basically make the tire taller and cant take advantage of the wider tread patch. Now if you were autox only then maybe you could take advantage of the tread on the corner when rolling the tire over but on the street you cant use it.

Im currently waiting on wider 9.5" front wheels and will then go to a 255 or 265 width tire.

If I were you I would go with a more standard 235ish width in a sticky compound.

telaio

Ready to race!
I have 255 wide tires on 8" OZ's currently. And I wont do it again. IMO you basically make the tire taller and cant take advantage of the wider tread patch.
Do you have pics of your setup? I have Michelic PSSs in 225/40/18 now and the setup looks somewhat stretched, it certainly looks like I could easily add a centimetre or more of contact patch on both sides of the tire.

If I were you I would go with a more standard 235ish width in a sticky compound.
I would have bought the PSS in 235/40/18 but that size is not available in Europe. 255/35/18 would be awesome, provided that it fits. 245/37.5/18 would be the sweet spot but that size does not unfortunately exist..

Last edited: