GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What’s the last word on DM’s K04 tune?

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
So, I am back after a long hiatus. Previously, I had issues with my engine not delivering power intermittently. This happened after I had my K04 installed and the DM K04 tune flashed. Basically, it had a a very annoying intermittent power issue and the whole car was fine mechanically, but a bad electrical ground was the culprit. That is now fixed finally! No mechanic or specialty VW or Audi shop knew how to fix it, but admitted that the problem was there after test drives.

During my diagnosis, I switched to Unitronic’s K04 tune but never really knew what it actually performed like. Now that the car is fixed, I feel that the DM tune was a lot more powerful and pulled harder to redline too.

Now, I am running 91 octane on Unitronic’s 93 octane tune, so I am not sure how big of a difference that’s causing in the actual power this tune makes. It’s 30C/86F here this week.

I am thinking about flashing back to the DM tune but what’s the last word on it? I think someone here mentioned that they had to rebuild their engine after about 125K miles.

So, what’s the last word on it? Does it blow up my engine sooner?

I may have the lowest mileage MkV around at 42,000 miles. It’s a summer car only now.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I loved my DM tune ran it for a few years. It was a tune developed for water/meth or 100oct. Ran it with 91 in tank and water meth daily without an issue. I would run it again if I was still K04.

42,000 has to be one of the lowest mileage MKVs around. Mine currently has 74,000 on odometer but it hasn't been driven in 2 years.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
I loved my DM tune ran it for a few years. It was a tune developed for water/meth or 100oct. Ran it with 91 in tank and water meth daily without an issue. I would run it again if I was still K04.

42,000 has to be one of the lowest mileage MKVs around. Mine currently has 74,000 on odometer but it hasn't been driven in 2 years.

I have a water meth kit that I still haven’t gotten around to installing. Are there any safeguards if the pump stops working or it runs out of water/meth? Also, that pump is HEAVY and I am not sure where to best mount it.

To be honest I am not that happy with this Unitronic K04 tune because I have witnessed what the DM tune was like.

Still have the DM handheld loader and the tunes on it. They built me a few files based on an APR stock tune file. Is it as simple as reflashing back to a stock APR file and then loading the tune myself?

Is it true that DM is gone?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have a water meth kit that I still haven’t gotten around to installing. Are there any safeguards if the pump stops working or it runs out of water/meth? Also, that pump is HEAVY and I am not sure where to best mount it.

To be honest I am not that happy with this Unitronic K04 tune because I have witnessed what the DM tune was like.

Still have the DM handheld loader and the tunes on it. They built me a few files based on an APR stock tune file. Is it as simple as reflashing back to a stock APR file and then loading the tune myself?

Is it true that DM is gone?

There are safeguards you can use but the ECU with my setup was enough. It can pull 12 degrees of timing which takes it back down to stock levels of advance. I can tell you from real world experience that it works. On a track session, on a hot day, I filled up my water/meth from a new container. There was junk in the jug and it completely blocked the w/m system. I did not find out until session was over and I went to fill up again and it was still full. Car ran well even with reduced timing, really didn't notice it much, just assumed heat was getting to the motor.

Pumps are indeed heavy. Mounted mine just behind bumper on passenger side. Will post pic for you as soon as I can find it.

Not sure about moving from Uni to DM. If you have a way to get back to stock file that was in place when you put DM on in the first place you should be ok.

I believe Bronson who was the owner/tuner of DM is still around.

Pic of pump mounted just under front bumper support on passenger side. I mounted it with mounting bracket attached and two rubber grommets in place. Held in place for 3 years street and track with only two zip ties. If I were doing it now it would get a welded in mount like I did for the trans cooler.

A few years later when I mounted the pump for the trans cooler I mounted it on the driver side front bumper support but this time we welded things in. Thats how i should have done it back then.

I think you can still reach him at
Bronson Dixon <drivermotorsport@gmail.com>

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I was looking at United Motorsport's page today...I saw this when I clicked on their K04 tune for the MK5 GTI: 324 whp & 380 ft-lbs
http://unitedmotorsport.net/products/mk5-20l-fsi/?vehicleId=1530&productId=1529

Might contact them and begin discussions to find out just what they require to easily make the same numbers. OP may want to contact them because they do offer custom tuning as well.

Good luck getting a response from Bronson, he has ignored my attempts for years now.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I was looking at United Motorsport's page today...I saw this when I clicked on their K04 tune for the MK5 GTI: 324 whp & 380 ft-lbs
http://unitedmotorsport.net/products/mk5-20l-fsi/?vehicleId=1530&productId=1529

Might contact them and begin discussions to find out just what they require to easily make the same numbers. OP may want to contact them because they do offer custom tuning as well.

Good luck getting a response from Bronson, he has ignored my attempts for years now.

I will be buying a UM tune for my K04 car probably next year (not sure if I want to do the differential first). There's a dealer near me and they offer free updates as needed. Note that the 324/380 dyno they advertise is on 100oct.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I just asked/emailed UM/Fred; asking if 324/380 is the best they get with 100 octane or are those numbers an average. Because the best I got with my GIAC K04 HO and DSG tune w/MS109 fuel was 288whp and 363 lb*ft. We'll see, but I am betting on those numbers being the best they have ever gotten or seen. Doesn't mean it was daily driveable or that those numbers are from the same tune they will send to the UM tuner dealer near you. Ask for a guarantee on which ever numbers they quote you...then see how confident they are in that 324 whp 380 lb*ft goal.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
I just asked/emailed UM/Fred; asking if 324/380 is the best they get with 100 octane or are those numbers an average. Because the best I got with my GIAC K04 HO and DSG tune w/MS109 fuel was 288whp and 363 lb*ft. We'll see, but I am betting on those numbers being the best they have ever gotten or seen. Doesn't mean it was daily driveable or that those numbers are from the same tune they will send to the UM tuner dealer near you. Ask for a guarantee on which ever numbers they quote you...then see how confident they are in that 324 whp 380 lb*ft goal.

I was quite excited about UM's K04 tune too when I looked before.

Their loaded tune allows you to change the octane and boost level using VAGCOM, and a bunch of other things like no-lift shift.

http://unitedmotorsport.net/products/loaded-med9-simple-page/

Just need to better understand their power curve and low end torque compared to the other tunes. I think that's more important to me.

My Unitronic K04 tune is pretty unspectacular under 3,000 RPM, unlike the DM K04+ tune.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Fred responded saying those numbers on their site, 324whp and 380 lb*ft, they've seen on a good number of MK5's with the exact set-up as mine. DJM nearby is a dealer...so I next plan to ask them if they have tuned any MK5 K04 cars with UM tunes and if so, what did they see in power and torque. I bet if I started a thread...I'd find no one with a UM K04 tune to respond. When I did search, I found one at 300HP and 265 lb*ft(flat torque curve throughout the rev range)...but this concerns me. ←This person asked Fred @ UM and he responded that those numbers are perfectly normal. Then why say on your site, and to me via email, that it is normal for 324 whp and 380 lb*ft to easily be achieved? This is the sort of stuff that I become hesitant with in regards to possibly trying a third tuner and losing another $750 plus install fees.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Fred responded saying those numbers on their site, 324whp and 380 lb*ft, they've seen on a good number of MK5's with the exact set-up as mine. DJM nearby is a dealer...so I next plan to ask them if they have tuned any MK5 K04 cars with UM tunes and if so, what did they see in power and torque. I bet if I started a thread...I'd find no one with a UM K04 tune to respond. When I did search, I found one at 300HP and 265 lb*ft(flat torque curve throughout the rev range)...but this concerns me. ←This person asked Fred @ UM and he responded that those numbers are perfectly normal. Then why say on your site, and to me via email, that it is normal for 324 whp and 380 lb*ft to easily be achieved? This is the sort of stuff that I become hesitant with in regards to possibly trying a third tuner and losing another $750 plus install fees.

If you right click to save their dyno photo, it's titled 100 octane, so I would suspect it to be that.

I am not sure that there is much to gain going from one K04 tune to another, are you looking for a custom tune for WMI?

I've heard good things about Mabotech tunes, though I haven't tried it yet or looked into it.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I know those numbers, 324 and 380, are on the 100 octane tuning. I would only consider the UM K04 tune because mine with MS109 is 288 and 363. Not seeking another tune for any other reason than to see if it is still torque'y yet has more top end power...with "drive-ability" retained. I am likely going to stay with the GIAC tune. Right now, I am only investigating and seeking others input and reviews on the UM K04 tuning. My local UM dealer emailed me after I emailed them with questions on whether or not they too see the UM stated 324 and 380 with my set-up, only to say, "give us a call". So...and with knowledge of another with a BT and UM tune...with Fred telling them expected numbers to only fall short of his pre-tuning projections...I am already cautious of any UM stated numbers.

I paid DriverMotorsport(DM) $700 for that second K04 tune, GIAC being my first, for both pump and race fuel open-loop tunes and for custom adjusting services. Never got it running well before he shut down. The last tune DM sent was a closed loop tune that didn't run well and he quit while I was trying to get a response for help on it.