GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad Dual Mass Flywheel?

sumofish

Passed Driver's Ed
hello

I have a 2009 GTI with a DSG transmission about 108k miles. During Idle I can sometimes hear a loud clunky metal noise coming from the engine. I had the clutch replaced around 65k.

I made a small video but you can kinda hear it

https://youtu.be/KekzjowvA4I

If the flywheel is bad how much would you think a shop would charge me?

Thanks you

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
If it’s actually a bad flywheel, book time is about 8 hours. An Indy shop might charge slightly less hours. The part is going to be a couple hundred - without knowing exactly which flywheel you’d want to go with.

Edit; that’s for a manual clutch. A dsg would have a few more hours by book..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
hello

I have a 2009 GTI with a DSG transmission about 108k miles. During Idle I can sometimes hear a loud clunky metal noise coming from the engine. I had the clutch replaced around 65k.

I made a small video but you can kinda hear it

https://youtu.be/KekzjowvA4I

If the flywheel is bad how much would you think a shop would charge me?

Thanks you

Since you have had your clutch pack replaced you have a good idea of the labor cost as the job requires a similar procedure. Likely you are looking at a cost of about 2000 dollars for parts and labor.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I was thinking about buying the Sachs dual mass flywheel or should I go with the OEM?

I would just go stock lowest cost since it looks like it will probably last longer than the rest of the car.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Yeah but although it is an OE suppliers doesn't mean that aftermarket parts are made by the same standards

Dude srsly, it’s the same shit. Been in the business over 10yrs. The manufacturers contract these suppliers to make parts & have been doing so for years. Vw/Audi slaps their name on it also, but it’s made by another German supplier to the same standard. But if you wanna justify paying so much extra fixing decade old cars where some stuff is no longer offered from a dealer, go for it. With experience & access to wholesale, you can for sure find quality gear for less.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Don't take me wrong, it's probably the same in this case. Also I ordered a clutch master cylinder from Sachs and the only difference with the VW part is that they removed the VW logo afterwards (there was a clear scrubbing mark where the VW logo takes place). However in other cases you can order a part of the OE manufacturer that are not 1:1 to the original part or not even manufactured by him.