GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuning Works Rear Upper Stress Bar Group Buy

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Straight from the designer/engineers mouth (on the vortex thread)...

Just wanted to explain how this mounts, and why it was designed the way it is.

Firstly, the gold bar pictured is a working prototype so there are imperfections.

The center stud 3/4" solid 1018 steel is used to extend the overall length of the bar in order to sit snugly in place, some people have said it looks like it can bend, I invite you to come by the shop anytime and try and bend it.

The end brackets are designed so that the bar can not come loose in any direction.

It cannot be pushed towards the rear of the vehicle, this is obvious, It cannot be pushed upwards due to the seat latches, it cannot be pushed downward due to the angle of the framework relative to the bar, It cannot be pushed towards the front of the car due to the set screws that mount into existing holes in the vehicle behind the carpet, as well as the angle of the framework relative to the bar, as well as the seats being latched on if you choose to do so.

Now, it is not recommended that you use the bar for your seat belts.

Some information on the hardware used to locate the bar.

The root diameter of a 1/4 20 bolt is roughly .185

tensile strength is 102,000 psi

.5 or .6 is a constant (ultimate strength relationship)

So, we have as follows

(.185) x (102,000) x (.5) ~ 9435 lbf

So theoretically each 1/4 20 bolt is capable of holding 9435 lbf depending on your factor of safety.

For crash physics this site is useful, http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/carcr2.html

Remember that its 2 of the 4 points being attached to the bar and to double the numbers for a passenger.

So, once again Its not recommended you use this for a seat belt harness, but you can do as you please.

As far as body roll and performance, some argue that no bar is needed it all and the car is fine the way it is, well again, that is up to you.

Some people like it, others don't, if you would like to test one i'm sure we could figure something out.

If you would like to set up a seat belt harness this is in development.

Car(s)
A bunny
Why is he not using filler on the brackets? Its eroding the metal enough to make the joint concave

This is the working prototype I mentioned, so there is some undercut, and really sloppy welds on my part (I was rushing to get the bar tested) the finished bars will be properly welded. :thumbsup:

This picture is meant to highlight the mounting hardware used.

danjett

Passed Driver's Ed
If that thing was closer to the car's ceiling I would consider it, If a had a laundry business. Looks like it would easily hold 15+ suit hangers.