GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moving to Canberra

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
IMO the short answer is yes. But you can go one day and not see any, but the next day you might see 5 or 6 in 10 minutes.

I only saw one on the drive home today. It was black, a Mk6 and easily spotted. :thumbsup:

You should've seen 2...

Ferris

www.ferrisgti.com
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTI 3D TR
Hey Steve, congrats on the Treasury position and imminent move to Canberra!

I attended a Canberra GTG quite a while ago (we met at Black Mountain and drove up the Brindabella Road), but have been slack and missed the last one (or two?). Probably time for me to attend the next one I reckon :)

And Kirium - what do you mean by 'you should have seen two'?

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
Well he should've seen me driving along Cbr ave.

Didn't you get the memo I was back? :wink:

CiaranGTI

Schwam, Doo, Doo and heif
Nice work steve! I remember our chats about the APS, and you definitely seemed keen to get a role there. Congrats on getting the gong.

Also, thats great that your girlfriend moved down with you. It must be an even bigger move on her part, does she have work lined up?

I'm not living there anymore, but still have your number. If I am ever in town I'll have to call you to catch up.

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Nice work steve! I remember our chats about the APS, and you definitely seemed keen to get a role there. Congrats on getting the gong.

Also, thats great that your girlfriend moved down with you. It must be an even bigger move on her part, does she have work lined up?

I'm not living there anymore, but still have your number. If I am ever in town I'll have to call you to catch up.

Hey stranger. Where abouts are you now? Can't say the gf is 'excited' about the move, but she's smiling through gritted teeth. She graduated last sem and hasn't found anything yet but has applied for quite a few jobs and is hopeful. Let me know if you're ever in town.

To those still in Canberra, perhaps we should organise a GTG for some time at the end of the month/start of Feb?

Cheers,

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Canberra is not for all people, obviously, but it just cops such a bad wrap from the rest of Australia that I'm not surprised your GF isn't excited by the move. You guys might get here, rape the public service for a bit and go home. And there'd be nothing wrong with doing that either. But there's just as much chance that you'll get here and stay forever.

My boss and her husband are from Sydney, they both took public sector jobs after graduating and met each other in Canberra. Even now, 20 years after she got here--has since met her husband, had kids, established her business--her Sydney friends still ask "when are you coming home" as if they can't believe anyone could ever be happy in Canberra, haha.

Frankly the Canberra bashing thing shits me a bit, because it comes from a high level of ignorance. The funny thing is, this is generally based on politicians of which only 4 in Federal Parliament are from the ACT, all the rest are from the same places as the Canberra-bashers live. Anyway, I figure the more people speak crap about the place, the more likely it is going to stay as it is, and that's fine by me. I reckon it's a fantastic place to live.

And a Feb GTG sounds good to me. :w00t:

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Canberra is not for all people, obviously, but it just cops such a bad wrap from the rest of Australia that I'm not surprised your GF isn't excited by the move. You guys might get here, rape the public service for a bit and go home. And there'd be nothing wrong with doing that either. But there's just as much chance that you'll get here and stay forever.

My boss and her husband are from Sydney, they both took public sector jobs after graduating and met each other in Canberra. Even now, 20 years after she got here--has since met her husband, had kids, established her business--her Sydney friends still ask "when are you coming home" as if they can't believe anyone could ever be happy in Canberra, haha.

Frankly the Canberra bashing thing shits me a bit, because it comes from a high level of ignorance. The funny thing is, this is generally based on politicians of which only 4 in Federal Parliament are from the ACT, all the rest are from the same places as the Canberra-bashers live. Anyway, I figure the more people speak crap about the place, the more likely it is going to stay as it is, and that's fine by me. I reckon it's a fantastic place to live.

And a Feb GTG sounds good to me. :w00t:

It is viewed as the arsehole of the country by most people I know, it must be said. Whenever I say I'm going to Canberra, people look at me with disbelief. I've been there twice in the past 6 months and have been pleasantly surprised for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I grew up on the Sunshine Coast and have only been in Brisbane for 5 years, so for me it's not a downgrade, but an upgrade. Secondly, I'm an econ/policy nerd, so it really is quite exciting. I can see Parliament House from the end of my street for Jesus' sake! Like anywhere it seems to have it's pros and cons. When we were there last week we took a stroll along Lake Burley Griffin and I thought it was one of the nicest walks I've had. I'd say Manuka and Kingston are nicer suburbs than any in Brisbane. It's smaller, a bit slower, and has worse shopping for sure, but the first two come with a bunch of pros and the third can be rectified by a three hour drive.

Anyways, provided I don't travel overseas for further study, I see myself being there for the long term and look forward to the prospect.

Cheers,

saad

Go Kart Champion
And the shopping in Canberra is pretty damn good now actually. DFO is great as is the City Centre, and for most other things, online FTW. I moved to Canberra from London when I was 11, and I really love this place. I havent tried looking for jobs elsehere except for a few and theres just so many benefits to living here. Great food and cafes, great music scene, relatively little traffic, parking is more available than big cities and so forth.

Im keen for a GTG too...Cotter road, Brindabela road, then down to wollongong?

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Wollongong!......wtf Wollongong?? :iono:
If you're in Canberra then use its delights....a run through the Snowy Mountain highway, out through Tumut or down Browns to Bega - even the third world of Nowra would be better than Wollongong.

Dingah

saad

Go Kart Champion
Hahah ok, i was thinking the Mac Pass...not familiar with those other roads, will have to look them up

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Mac Pass is very good. But in the time it takes to get there, for what is a 10-15km run, you would be well on the way to Thredbo, heading towards Khancoban on one of the best roads in Australia!

saad

Go Kart Champion
Sick never been there, lets organise a GTG. Hows the 23/24th Jan?

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Not good for me.

With a group you probably need to allow 6-8 hours for a round trip (depending on chosen route). Really depends on the amount of stops etc.

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
I'm not gonna be down there by then. I'm moving down some time between Australia Day and the end of the month. So perhaps we should organise the meet for the following weekend. That would be 6/7 February.

Cheers,