Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Zero the average fuel consumption on the display when dropping off and if its sitting at 30l/100km when you collect it might be worth a question...............

Dingah

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
FROM CARADVICE.COM.AU

If you thought we had it bad here in Australia, think again. A Swiss driver has received the speeding ticket of the century, $312,000 (£180,000) for driving 137km/h through a village with a 80km/h speed limit.

No, he didn’t kill anyone, nor did anyone get hurt. Even his red Ferrari Testarossa was undamaged. The reason the fine is so high is because of the laws the Swiss have enacted to combat speeding.

The high speed fines are calculated based on the motorist’s wealth, in this case assessed by the court as $24m, it also didn’t help that he was a repeat offender.

Switzerland is officially the country to avoid if fast cars are your thing. 2008 saw a fine of over $100,000 handed to a Porsche driver in Zurich.

Last edited:

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
FROM CARADVICE.COM.AU

If you thought we had it bad here in Australia, think again. A Swiss driver has received the speeding ticket of the century, $312,000 (£180,000) for driving 137km/h through a village with a 80km/h speed limit.

No, he didn’t kill anyone, nor did anyone get hurt. Even his red Ferrari Testarossa was undamaged. The reason the fine is so high is because of the laws the Swiss have enacted to combat speeding.

The high speed fines are calculated based on the motorist’s wealth, in this case assessed by the court as $24m, it also didn’t help that he was a repeat offender.

Switzerland is officially the country to avoid if fast cars are your thing. 2008 saw a fine of over $100,000 handed to a Porsche driver in Zurich.

now that's F.Up

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
FROM CARADVICE.COM.AU

Looks I like I still have some promoting to do. :w00t:

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
FROM CARADVICE.COM.AU

I recall reading somewhere that there is a similar law in Finland.... The CEO of Nokia got done for speeding and hit with an astronomical fine based on his earnings.

But you quite often hear Jeremy decrying the Swiss and their speeding fines every time they do a piece that takes the TG crew through Switzerland. :frown:

GTom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT
indian students are dying in vic and nsw and the police have no idea why, but definitely not racism related coz we are not a racist intolerant country (thinks back to cronulla riots). for some strange scientific reason not well understood by academics the Indian student species has a tendency to find penetrating wounds in their abdomens and also find themselves doused in petrol and on fire in their cars and burnt to death in a ditch. perhaps they are just family killings or something.

From what I hear the indians aren't *that* innocent. Yes the people who are being victims of crime are innocent but in some parts of Sydney there are indian gangs which clash with other ethnic gangs. The problem here in lies that the indian gangs arm themselves up with pitchforks and bats while the other gangs knives and guns and can be a bit more aggressive.....

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
indian students are dying in vic and nsw and the police have no idea why, but definitely not racism related coz we are not a racist intolerant country (thinks back to cronulla riots). for some strange scientific reason not well understood by academics the Indian student species has a tendency to find penetrating wounds in their abdomens and also find themselves doused in petrol and on fire in their cars and burnt to death in a ditch. perhaps they are just family killings or something.

shakes head and weeps

ABC News said:
Two men believed to be employed by an Indian-born contract worker found stabbed and burnt in rural NSW have had their passports seized at Sydney Airport, Fairfax reports.

Ranjodh Singh's partially burnt body was found beside Wilga Road, Willbriggie, in the Riverina area of south-west NSW on December 29.

The 25-year-old seasonal worker had been living in Wagga Wagga and was visiting Griffith at the time of his death.

Two men, believed to be Indian seasonal workers employed by Mr Singh, were arrested at Sydney airport's departure lounge last Monday as they were about to board a flight to Nepal via Singapore, Fairfax reported.

The pair were questioned at Mascot police station but were later released without charge after being forced to hand in their passports.

Detectives believe Mr Singh may have been murdered in a fight over unpaid wages at a Christmas party two days before his murder.

A post-mortem examination revealed his throat had been slashed and he had suffered multiple stab wounds before being bound and then set alight in an effort to conceal his identity, Fairfax reported.

Sounds like the cops are harassing the wrong guys. They should be looking for white guys in cronulla wearing boardies and driving VS commodores with "Fuck off we're full" bumper stickers.

Don't forget stereotyping works both ways...

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Is this thread now officially OT x 2 ?

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
Sounds like the cops are harassing the wrong guys. They should be looking for white guys in cronulla wearing boardies and driving VS commodores with "Fuck off we're full" bumper stickers.

Don't forget stereotyping works both ways...

you are right...i can't imagine aussies going to those lengths...burning, stabbing etc. what i don't get is why india has taken such a hostile stance to these events. i mean we are not talking cricket here. i suspect you are right and the indian nationals involved must have been tied to gangs or crime, perhaps a drug turf war. i guess one should not hasten to make judgement...

sorry :threadjacked:

saad

Go Kart Champion
Bloody Indians...

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
It seems Queensland is not immune to acts of stupidity, no more or less than any other State or Territory in Australia for the matter. From Couriermail.com.au.

Mother and son hoons off the road

MOTHER-and-son hoons have faced court after racing each other at speeds of up to 130km/h on one of the Gold Coast busiest roads.

Jill Dingle, 42, told police she sped to push her 20-year-old son Martin, 20, to go faster.

The pair, from Bellbird Park near Ipswich, both pleaded guilty in Southport Magistrates Court today to dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

Prosecutor Simon Bright told the court police in an unmarked car saw a purple BMW driven by Martin Dingle and a black Suzuki Swift with Jill Dingle at the wheel racing along Sea World Drive at Main Beach on December 20 last year.

The popular tourist road, which leads to the Sea World theme park and Palazzo Versace and Sheraton Mirage hotels, has a 60km speed limit but Ms Dingle estimated she was doing 130km/h.

``She said she was pushing her son to go faster,'' Sergeant Bright told the court.

``The son was questioned and said he was trying to go faster and outrun his mother.''

Martin, who had his girlfriend in the car, told police he was only driving at about 100km/h - although his car was in front of his mother's when they were spotted by police.

He had previously twice been disqualified and his car was found to be defective.

Police seized both cars under anti-hooning laws, Sgt Bright said.

Ms Dingle was fined $750 and disqualified from driving for six months. Her son was fined $850 and banned from the roads for nine months.

Outside court, Ms Dingle said: ``What I did was silly.''

KWICKS

Now older and wiser
Car(s)
GTI, Liberty 3.0RB
Glad to see commonsense has prevailed in WA.

Looks I like I still have some promoting to do. :w00t:
No, you will never be as stoopid as Car Advice. Reprinting press releases without edit or opinion or analysis or comparison is all they are good for. But for the 13 - 16 year old market that's everything they need to be brainwashed with from the automobile manufacturer's marketing arms anyway...

Bloody Indians...
A bit partial to the odd curry, are we?

I'm at uni at the moment, UTS doing my MBA. The Graduate Lounge is full of Indian students day and night, so popular is education as an export to that country. Sh1t I reckon English isn't even the most common language spoken in there anymore. But not one person I speak with has ever encountered threats of violence whilst studying here.

And from what I can gather most are studying here with the view to living here permanantly, i.e. they are gaining a strong enough education to support their immigration as skilled migrants. If the place was that bad they wouldn't be looking at residency.

saad

Go Kart Champion