GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OT: WA anti-hoon laws

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
So any thoughts on what we should do prior to taking out cars down to VW (or whereever) for a service?

Last time:
- Took a photo of odometer when dropping off
- Checked that the service document stated odometer reading (had to write it in myself) matching my photo
- Came back and it had recorded 8kms additional!

Not sure if that is normal but oh well, sure wouldn't like for my car to be the one impounded for hooning. Might even stay there next time and request a passenger ride with the mechanic (yes I am that pedantic) next time they test it after a service.

OMG dude relax! If you read your service report they have to road test the vehicle after completing the work on it. 8kms seems a little long but they'll normally have a set route they follow and if you noted a specific issue with the car like a rattle or similar they may drive it longer to find it. Next you'll want to stand next to the mechanics working on the car!

Very easy... note your odo.. if you consider them to have done an excesive amount of kms then raise it with the service manager and get them to make note of it. You should be more concerned with any damage to the car while it's there than how far they drive it (within reason)... When you drop your car off get them to do a walkaround of the car with you noting any chips/scratches/gutter rash and then re-check when you pick the car up do the same so there's no arguements over when and where any damage occured.

Pharkus

Ninja
OMG dude relax! If you read your service report they have to road test the vehicle after completing the work on it. 8kms seems a little long but they'll normally have a set route they follow and if you noted a specific issue with the car like a rattle or similar they may drive it longer to find it. Next you'll want to stand next to the mechanics working on the car!

Very easy... note your odo.. if you consider them to have done an excesive amount of kms then raise it with the service manager and get them to make note of it. You should be more concerned with any damage to the car while it's there than how far they drive it (within reason)... When you drop your car off get them to do a walkaround of the car with you noting any chips/scratches/gutter rash and then re-check when you pick the car up do the same so there's no arguements over when and where any damage occured.

Oh don't you worry about that DrMat. The usual annual process is to make sure the car is detailed and photographed prior to taking to service. Walk around and fill out the diagram at the bottom left of the service sheet (2 items now that I note, hope it doesn't get longer). Get the service manager to view with me. Get him to initial the diagram as well.

As for standing next to the mechanic doing the servicing, I would if I knew what the hell they were doing in the first place or was allowed under their workplace saftey program.

In fact I think a ride along may assist in the next service so I can get any rattles etc finally fixed up before I run out of warranty (if I don't extend it).

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
I took before and after scangauge trip readings for VW ozzy park and my cars maximum revs when dropping off were like ~2500 and when I picked up were ~5600. The distance was about 8km from memory. I didn't raise the issue as I figured that 5600 is not a full rev gearchange so its not that bad. Certainly not as hard a time as our south western cruise =P

Pharkus

Ninja
I took before and after scangauge trip readings for VW ozzy park and my cars maximum revs when dropping off were like ~2500 and when I picked up were ~5600. The distance was about 8km from memory. I didn't raise the issue as I figured that 5600 is not a full rev gearchange so its not that bad. Certainly not as hard a time as our south western cruise =P

What's this scangauge thing you talk about?

I don't think I'd be too concerned with a few revs now and then at 5600rpm. Though that depends on if they are holding that to launch my MT car.

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
What's this scangauge thing you talk about?

I don't think I'd be too concerned with a few revs now and then at 5600rpm. Though that depends on if they are holding that to launch my MT car.

MJKooLio

Ready to race!
Source?:rolleyes:

VW puit 50kms on ours after 1 day of ownership when it was returned for a paint correction. We dropped it off with 28kms and came back the next day with 78kms. We complained about it being hooned in or used as a test drive vehicle. VW couldn't explain the car's unusual use and wrote a cheque for $300 to us.... very fookin dodgy. Needless to say we haven't been back.

Citroen put 20+kms on my car.... just to find a rattle in the door!?!?!?

And I washed it the day before, wax and polish..... so took it in the next day, told them NOT to wash it as they normally do after a service, they drove the 20+kms and the whole thing was filthy and dusty. They couldn't explain to me and then two days later i made a formal complaint to the dealership as well as to the manufacturer and they said they drove up the road - where they were re surfacing the road, lime stone all over and bla bla bla. 20kms to find a rattle yet I drove it back to my place 2.5kms up the road with the mechanic and I showed/heard it on the way there.

macad

apple pixel pusher
Citroen put 20+kms on my car.... just to find a rattle in the door!?!?!?

And I washed it the day before, wax and polish..... so took it in the next day, told them NOT to wash it as they normally do after a service, they drove the 20+kms and the whole thing was filthy and dusty. They couldn't explain to me and then two days later i made a formal complaint to the dealership as well as to the manufacturer and they said they drove up the road - where they were re surfacing the road, lime stone all over and bla bla bla. 20kms to find a rattle yet I drove it back to my place 2.5kms up the road with the mechanic and I showed/heard it on the way there.

Man, I be annoyed that that - that's like a fifth of that cars life wasted!

GP_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Backflip, accompanied by a serious amount of b/s denials

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...borghini-debacle/story-e6frf7jx-1225817488359

WA Minister backflips on hoon laws and Lamborghini debacle
January 08, 2010 9:50PM
THE West Australian police minister has back flipped on a vow not to change laws that allowed a $200,000 Lamborghini to be impounded after it was caught speeding on a Perth street.
Perth GP Patrick Nugawela had his 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo impounded after his mechanic was caught driving it at speeds up to 160km/h in a 90km/h zone in the city's east on Wednesday.
Under WA's anti-hoon laws, police had to impound the car even though it was not the property of the driver.
Dr Nugawela loses the car for a month and faces payment of a $900 fee for the cost of impoundment.
WA Police Minister Rob Johnson had consistently refused to back down in the face of a public outcry against the laws, which Dr Nugawela claimed had led to him being treated like the offender.
But interviewed on Fairfax Radio this afternoon, Mr Johnson said he had not envisaged a case like that of Dr Nugawela.
"`You can never foresee every eventuality,'' Mr Johnson said.
"I've listened to the community ... I've listened to the talk back (radio).
"At the end of the day I want the community to support these anti-hoon laws. They are meant to protect people and save lives.
"I was going to review the laws in 12 months anyway.
"I've decided to bring that forward and after examining the legislation this afternoon with my staff I've decided there is room for a minor amendment which may allow for the substitution of an offender's car in place of an innocent person's car.
"I know people will be saying I'm doing a back flip.
"Well they can say what they like. I don't care. I want people to support the hoon laws that are there to protect them.''
Mr Johnson said under the proposed changes, the penalties could be applied to the registered provider of a service the owner was paying for.
He said while the police commissioner had no discretion to allow the early release of Dr Nugawela's car, he could waive his payment of the impoundment fee.
Dr Nugawela, who runs a sole practice at Greenwood in the city's north, said he was pleased if his plight "has brought about a change that will benefit the community at large''.
"I am gratified to hear that commonsense has prevailed and that the focus has shifted from a Lamborghini to the concept of culpability and protection of the public,'' he said.

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
firstly i'll put it out there, the GP mentioned above is the dodgiest looking doctor i've seen since the neurosurgeon who killed 2 students in his unit from cocaine overdose. However, the above case highlights the strange stance of our police and legal system lately. we are stupid, in the above case, to let the law be so "black and white."

indian students are dying in vic and nsw and the police have no idea why, but definitely not racism related coz we are not a racist intolerant country (thinks back to cronulla riots). for some strange scientific reason not well understood by academics the Indian student species has a tendency to find penetrating wounds in their abdomens and also find themselves doused in petrol and on fire in their cars and burnt to death in a ditch. perhaps they are just family killings or something.

shakes head and weeps