GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ignition Cylinder/Lock Cylinder/Key replacement

Skyspi007

Like an idiot, I waited until my ignition cylinder went completely bad before replacing it. I was at work (pizza delivery) and really needed it to work so I called a mobile mechanic, and he said I had a bad lock cylinder. $105 parts and $85 labor later, and my entire steering column was screwed up. I decided I'd try to install a push to start at this point since a kit was $105 and I've wanted one for awhile. Somehow I caused the electricity cutoff to trigger. I had the vehicle tower to a local mechanic, who fixed the lock cylinder, ignition cylinder and electrical problem. He charged me $205 total, so I'm at $495 total at this point, but couldn't program the key. Then Volkswagen (45 minutes away) towed the car for me to program the key, which they can't because it is an aftermarket key. After all this I'm at $750 and as a minimum wage job my bank account is nearly dry. VW said they could fix it by replacing the key, lock cylinder, ignition cylinder and wiring harness for only $400 something before labor.
I got a new key blade, got it cut for the new lock cylinder, and replaced the old blade with this newly cut one. Nothing new happened, still a SAFE message. At this point, I lose my job Wednesday because I've been out for 3 weeks now, still owe 5k on my car, and I'm about to lose my job.

I have the push to start system, new key blade, old fob and blade, and no idea what to do next. What do you guys suggest? I've looked through several of the forums, but can't really find anything. Can I install just the immobilizer bypass and run my car like that until I can formally get everything fixed? Or is there some other fix I can try?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So does your old key fob have the new cut key attached? If so I am not sure why the immo is preventing the car from starting.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So I take it you have no way to scan with Vcds or equivalent tool. Maybe find someone in the regional forums on here or vwvortex, somebodies got to be in your area that can scan it for.

doc280

Ready to race!
When you disassembled the old fob to replace the blade, do you remember seeing an item, resembling a pill? If you do not remember open the fob again to check if it is there. If not, I really hope you can find it.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
When you disassembled the old fob to replace the blade, do you remember seeing an item, resembling a pill? If you do not remember open the fob again to check if it is there. If not, I really hope you can find it.
You can also put the old fob upper part as close as possible from the ignition when you turn it. If the chip is still there the car will start

VW_Mkv_GTI

Separate ignition question

I have a 07' and the key turns to "on" but won't turn to "start" to crank car. I was wondering if I'll need to replace the ignition housing electrical, and lock cylinder. Or do I just need one or two of those parts to get back on the road crusing in the GTI..... THANK YOU, J