GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bad experience at city vw

Boosty

Ready to race!
I originally was going to give my experience here a 4 star review.
But then things took a turn for the worst.
First red flag , the guy I spoke to in the phone wasn't around , so the promise of getting a loaner was out the door, luckily I arrived earlier then I scheduled because other wise I would have been late. The young women Kate , had informed me that they dont loaners at this location so now I know they lied , bad customer service already.
Before I continue , I should add that I did go to school for auto tech , and I'm an overall mechanically inclined person , so doing repairs on my car comes naturally.
The problem I had was with a busted head light , I originally replaced the bulb (on my own) and it wasn't working . I replaced the ballast , still nothing so I was stumped and brought it in
After about 45 minutes the tech Greg I think his name was , had Kate come over and reported to me that the bulbs I was using were wrong. Which didn't make sense to me because if they were wrong the other headlights wouldn't be working . after informing her of this I asked to see the bulbs where I met grumpy Greg , who was having difficulty lining up the bulb, so he had assumed I bought an after market headlight unit , which he referred to when he asking if the headlights were "mickey moused" . at that moment it occurred to me they had a rude and undertrained tech who had no knowledge of the mkv generation.
After that happened I told him the lights are both the same and the bulbs are brand new (literally 5 days old at this point)
So Kate said to give him a few more moments and she update me again.
After 20 more minutes she comes backs and tells me that grumpy Greg figured out that the bulbs aren't the issue (no shit)
And its actually the ballast and igniter. She said my old ballast had a bent pin which in turn wasn't attaching properly and therefore not igniting the bulb. So being the person I am I asked to see both ballasts , I checked them with a magnifying glass and of course the old one was bent , then asked her for a light because I couldn't see it on the new one , and while checking she said I could buy a new one or he could repair the old one. (yea ,apparently the new one is bent to).
So after asking for a flash light we returned to grumpy and he handed me a light I then noticed my brand new ballast was completely broken. ATM I figured this untrained tech , who had no idea how to replace a bulb broke the new one . at that time he seemed to be impatient and asked "Idk what you wanna do here" with an attitude, I then replied . put a new one on and if it works I'll buy it.
He then comes back with a new ballast, begins to struggle installing the bulb (which in all honesty takes 5 minutes or less ) after a minute or to he then said "I can't work with guys staring at me" which no one was staring but that's fine, he is a very grumpy guy.
Anyway after another 15 minutes the cars all ready and getting washed , and of course they aren't going to honor my warranty and I've got to pay for another ballast.
Here's where the 4 star review drops to a 2 star and the to a 1 star.
I'm leaving now , might I remind you guys I'm about 1 hour from being late and its rush hour so you can feel my urgency.
I looked at both ballasts that were sitting on my passenger seat , I took the old one and new one out and compared them again when I noticed the original one , the one that was only bent had looked as though it had been punched in.
Furious at this point , furthering my thought from earlier that the tech had damaged the new one. I returned spoke to Kate and waited for the manager
15 minutes go by and the manager shows up
I tell him what's going on , his response and the fact that a manager won't take any action to please a customer is completely unacceptable.
Anyway I complained about the broken part he responded with
" our tech has been working on vws for many years he wouldn't have damaged any of the parts " he asked " was it working when you got here " , obviously my answer was " no. But the point isn't weather or not it was working but the fact that it was repairable " I then continued "Kate had mentioned to me that the tech could repair the old one " he quickly said "no , we would never do that and I know she didn't say that" . to me that said two things , first he called me a liar ,unintentionally but it still happened. Also it says that they would rather make you pay more money then fix a repairable part.
So after the service manager stated he wasn't going to refund me anything and there isn't anything he could do I went on my way , I wasn't going to curse him out due to the fact that I was already late.

My problem isn't with Kate , or even the douche manager . my problem is with the tech who damaged my part that I could have used after a repair. And the fact that the manager thought I wanted to be financially compensated for my horrible experience. All I wanted was the tech to admit he damaged my part and an apology, sure be compensated for atleast the 1 hr of service I had to pay for would have been nice but this shows me that the management is unprofessional , the service tech is unprofessional and they need to do more work on the customer service.
So far the service reps I've dealt with have been great , Conrad and kate ...everyone else is rude
Need service? Go to fox Valley , so much friendlier

Tldr ; basically the tech at city vw is retarded , speaks broken English and doesn't know how to put in a bulb. And I feel like he broke both my ballasts , the old one and new one , to a point that they are beyond repair. And when I complained the service manager didn't care nor did he do anything about , not even an apology
This was the full yelp review that I had to scale down cause its to long but I just spent $650 on two ballasts and an hour of work.. So angry right now

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
That sucks you had such a horrible experience. There's nothing worse than the customer feeling like they're a nuisance

So do you always carry a magnifying glass with you? lol

Boosty

Ready to race!
That sucks you had such a horrible experience. There's nothing worse than the customer feeling like they're a nuisance

So do you always carry a magnifying glass with you? lol

Lol no , I'm not the monopoly man.
Kate (the customer service rep) brought it to show me the pins in the ballast

Boosty

Ready to race!
Don't wanna go back here for my 80k service anyone got recommendations for somewhere to do my belt and pump service?