GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test drove a MKV GTI, got a few questions

Stricken

How difficult of a task is that anyway? Could it be done in a day? Couldn't take a weekend like a clutch might, would it?

MDBluesfan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 CW GTI
There's a pretty great DIY on here if you search for it. I've never had to do it, but I understand that it's maybe an hour, tops, if it's your first time and you don't have fingers. After a bit, it's quicker than an oil change.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
If you buy an 06 or 07, make sure they will comply with doing the cam follower warranty extension work. This will replace the intake cam, cam follower, and high pressure fuel pump.

From then on, check the cam follower every oil change, or every other oil change (mine seems fine at that interval)

The noise you were hearing is likely the fuel line rattle as bhmkv mentioned.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Grynchmeister

SuckSquishBangBlow
Cam follower is easy peasy. FSI has more maintenance overall, but if you can nab a single owner car that has been well maintened, you reduce the risk.
Saying that, if I had known more about the FSi/TSi hoopla prior to my purchase, I would have actively sought out a TSi.
And to be fair to the FSI, the early TSi engines had issues of their own. (Late 08, early 09). Not alot affected, just a few. Such is with new tech, great strides always come with a few "oops" slapped on em.

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
I have an '07 and love it. I changed the cam follower when I bought it after reading this forum. Luckily mine was just a little worn and didn't have any cam wear. It's very easy to check it, it can be done within 30 minutes or less. Another issue with the FSI engine is the oil consumption can be very high... If I bought another one of these cars I would have someone drive behind me while test driving to see if any blue smoke is visible from the exhaust under hard throttle.