GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best way to go about replacing the steering rack?

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Well it is finally coming, after 11 years of daily driving and potholes, 3 different shops believe the steering rack is going. Nothing is leaking yet, I only hear creaking on both outer tie rods. When they raised the car on a platform, they turned the steering wheel and had me put my hand on the outer rod and I could feel a slight vibration. At low speeds when turning the wheel, I hear the creek, it sounds like a bad strut mount bearing but the noise is not high enough for that to be the issue, which I wish it was.

Normally if something breaks, I will visit various websites and order the part or goto the mechanic and they order the part for cheaper. The steering rack is very difficult to order online, is this something I should have the shop handle from start to finish including ordering parts? I am not going to replace it yet, as it is not leaking and I do not notice any difference in steering but I am preparing.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Well it is finally coming, after 11 years of daily driving and potholes, 3 different shops believe the steering rack is going. Nothing is leaking yet, I only hear creaking on both outer tie rods. When they raised the car on a platform, they turned the steering wheel and had me put my hand on the outer rod and I could feel a slight vibration. At low speeds when turning the wheel, I hear the creek, it sounds like a bad strut mount bearing but the noise is not high enough for that to be the issue, which I wish it was.

Normally if something breaks, I will visit various websites and order the part or goto the mechanic and they order the part for cheaper. The steering rack is very difficult to order online, is this something I should have the shop handle from start to finish including ordering parts? I am not going to replace it yet, as it is not leaking and I do not notice any difference in steering but I am preparing.

Couple questions - what price were you quoted at dealer for the whole job? Do you know how many book hours for a rack replacement? I found a made in Germany Bosch ZF reman rack for $727 and a Bosch only for $756, both shipped free, with lifetime warranty, from FCP Euro. I'm not exactly sure of the difference, but read on the website that the Bosch ZF was from a joint venture where ZF sold off its hydraulic rack segment to Bosch in order to pursue electric only -- but the GTI unit *is* and electric unit. That said, my next question is what leaks were you looking for, since this the GTI rack is not hydraulic, but electro-mechanical? Is there actually any fluid in those racks that can leak?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
There was a repair kit for the bearings / bush do not know if they are still available but the repair is made from outside the rack.

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
@magicMK I did not goto a dealer or ask any shops for the price of the parts + labor as I did not want to shock myself lol. As far as I know, these racks are not like the MK7, there is fluid in them and they are electro-mechanical. You can not access the fluid, add fluid, it is a sealed system. If I am wrong, anyone can please correct me, and I would hope someone could give some detailed information as well. I will be reaching out to Tyrol Sport and Elite Motorsport as they are my local mechanic that I would trust on a big job like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Search for Self-Study Program Course Number 892403 / SSP 892403 for details on the MK5 and how they function, no hydraulic fluid or oil.

MK5 rack with TR bellow pulled off not sealed.

Bushings for rack

Good luck

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks GTI’s, do you know anyone who has done this method before? I will research it now to get a better understanding of how this all works, thanks!

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Search for Self-Study Program Course Number 892403 / SSP 892403 for details on the MK5 and how they function, no hydraulic fluid or oil.

MK5 rack with TR bellow pulled off not sealed.

Bushings for rack

Good luck

Thanks for this, I gotta do some research on this now, I have a clunk in my front end still after a refresh and am now leaning towards a rack issue. Erwin here I come!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Suuuuuper easy to do, like a one hour job. Pull the knuckle in the cabin by the brake pedal off the rack, remove tie rod end nuts and wack with a hammer, tie rod will pop out of the steering knucle (leave everything else attached!) Pull the 4 rack bolts so the rack is now loose, 2 plugs into the rack, pull dog bone mount bolt, now pull all 6 subframe bolts and let the subframe hang, rack will come right out the back. Reverse the order for install.