GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's Mk5 Rabbit Beater/Daily - That I Said I Wasn't Going To Mod. Yeah Right.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Saturday I put the GTI brakes on the rabbit. Calipers, rotors, stoptech pads, and brake fluid flush. Was a pain in the ass being 102K on the car. The brakes were making a god awful noise coming from the rear and it turns out there was zero pad left. I knew it needed brakes when I bought the thing but didn't know how bad it actually was. Thought I was buying a car that was well maintained but I'm slowly finding out that it wasn't maintained at all besides for oil changes... Which I really don't really have a way of knowing if those were kept up on either. I know it had the oem fuel filter which at the age I bought it, should have been replaced twice and it wasn't, and had oem plugs which also should have been replaced long before I bought the car. And this is way too long to let the brakes go. Oh well that's the gamble with buying a used car this old I suppose.

Here's some pics of the pads lol.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Such a great daily, but I fear that you'll end up turboing it...

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Such a great daily, but I fear that you'll end up turboing it...

heh, ALL of my friends and my girlfriend are saying the same thing. I'm holding out on that I really don't want to put much money in this thing. I'm about to drop some serious coin on my mk6 racecar, I can't make this one a racecar too. Once both cars are paid off I'm probably going to sell this rabbit and buy something newer for a daily. Maybe a used mk7 gti or something and leave that fairly stock.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Haha, you need to select a daily that doesn't have any real potential. May I suggest a Geo Metro?

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
welp. The rabbit made it on it's first road trip. I had a cel for a few days, and the ABS light is now on. It's still driving fine and the cel went off for now. Not sure what's up with the abs though.

Having some electrical issues as well. The 12v power source is no longer working which reeallllly sucks on a road trip when you need to charge phones for directions etc. The passenger side window is acting up too. When you crack it slightly and try to roll it back up, it has to roll down all the way before it will roll back up. Not sure what's up with that either.

Sigh. Buy a daily they said. It will be fun they said....

Now hoping I make it back the 1000 miles to chicago.

Zach L

VR junkie
The window thing is a safety feature that monitors resistance on the motor in case someone has a body part get shut in the window. Not uncommon for cars to do that, but sounds like yours may be a little too sensitive for some reason. I'm not sure how that can be adjusted.

Check to see if there's a coin in the 12v outlet.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
welp. The rabbit made it on it's first road trip. I had a cel for a few days, and the ABS light is now on. It's still driving fine and the cel went off for now. Not sure what's up with the abs though.

Having some electrical issues as well. The 12v power source is no longer working which reeallllly sucks on a road trip when you need to charge phones for directions etc. The passenger side window is acting up too. When you crack it slightly and try to roll it back up, it has to roll down all the way before it will roll back up. Not sure what's up with that either.

Sigh. Buy a daily they said. It will be fun they said....

Now hoping I make it back the 1000 miles to chicago.

-12v is a blown fuse, it happens.
-window is the switch, hugely prone to water damage and super common issue. 90% of the time a new switch fixes the issue. Happened to my 06.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I'll check the fuses for the 12v power outlet, there was a VW emblem jammed down there, not sure if it was part of the design or not but it was down there for a while as I haven't taken the charger out for a while. I took the emblem out and still the same issue so I assume its a fuse.

Regarding the window, I doubt it's the switch as the problem is the same no matter if I use the driver's side switch or the passenger side. To me if the issue occurs with both switches, then the switch is not likely the cause of problem. I read another article saying the wires under the door sometimes get corroded. I'll have to take the door panel off when I get home and inspect them. I'll repair any corroded wires and see what happens.