GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Elliott's "meh" build thread

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
The one thing that was starting to let it down was the body. I mean to everyone else the car was more than perfect but to me, the paint was starting to show its age with a few marks here and there along with a dent in my roof left from a lorry flicking a large rock at the car and the worst bit was my bonnet. Some time ago i parked my car in an underground over night, well when I returned I found a white pile of residue left from a leaking pipe above my space. The salt in the water sadly started to eat through the clear. Tried polished it away as good as I could but then one day about 4 months back while in the hand car wash using the power hose, it actually lifted the lacquer on the damaged area and left the bare paint underneath on show. I was a sad person for the next few months- until now that is.:happyman: :biggrin:
To start it off, last week I took it to the best body shop on the coast to let them do their thing. I obviously told them exactly what I wanted along with providing photos of others I have seen over the years. The fact I am close friend with the garage and owner I have been very hands on my self and been there the majority of the work. It really has been a great experience. Yes costly but still great:yikes:
So I'm going jump straight into the up to date stuff, as is now the car is in a local body shop getting some rather special treatment.
Doors fully shaved along with custom made door handles, pulled and smoothed rear quarters, shaved and smoothed front bumper and also bonnet(hood) notch filled.
Just getting it done in the oem bmp again. No fancy colour change for me as much as I would like to that means spending 4k on paint on a golf, OK that's doing it right but the only way i would consider, so for this car, sticking with the oem colour.
on to the first lot of many pics to come.
Remember this is for no shows, I don't have them where I live. This is just purely for my enjoyment and building my perfect mkv. It will still be daily driven when all complete, dog will still be jumping in the boot most days to come along on the ride. Yes I will be paranoid but it just means i have to pay for parking in nice spaces like I used to before the car started to get older.
If you look at this topic you will actually see the the burn on the bonnet that I was talking about in an earlier post.

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,120
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,108
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,103
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,120
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,085
Last edited:

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
so this is when i get excited:happyanim:
car is pulled apart and the work has began. ill let the pics do the talking but any questions, please ask away.

Attachments

• b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,103
  • b7.jpg
    b7.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • b8.jpg
    b8.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,074
  • b9.jpg
    b9.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,076
  • b10.jpg
    b10.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,083
Last edited:

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
:yikes: kind of scary seeing your pride and joy like this but super excited to see the final result!

Attachments

• b11.jpg
    b11.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,086
  • b12.jpg
    b12.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,077
  • b13.jpg
    b13.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,063
  • b23.jpg
    b23.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,067
  • b26.jpg
    b26.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,073

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
if you also look at that last pic you will you will notice the passengers side handle is finished, so on to pics of the fab work we had to do the actual handle to make it all sit true and flush. Real happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• b14.jpg
    b14.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,070
  • b15.jpg
    b15.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,060
  • b16.jpg
    b16.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,055
  • b17.jpg
    b17.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,068
  • b18.jpg
    b18.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,067
Last edited:

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
so as you can see we had to modify the handle its self by grinding it down and making a template so it would sit flush under the the filled notch. Made the plastic insert and the proceeded to plastic weld and mold them together. Quite a bit of thought had to go into this part but really happy with the outcome.

Attachments

• b19.jpg
    b19.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,073
  • b20.jpg
    b20.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • b21.jpg
    b21.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,071
  • b22.jpg
    b22.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,065
  • b32.jpg
    b32.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,053
Last edited:

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
and as of now that's it as watching top gear.
still the door skins need to come off tomorrow for welding up the holes as well as welding in the bonnet (hood) notch, not to mention finishing off drivers door handle before it will be ready for paint. Aiming to have it back next weekend so lets see, if all goes well, ill be updating this sooner rather than later.
One last pic of the inside of the finished moulded handle.

ps.Tyler, was that fast enough for you?
Got a few more I'll post up of it primed in an hour or so.
;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,064

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
shaving the hatch?

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
shaving the hatch?

No badged - front and back. Max is the inspiration behind the de-notched bonnet but still running the badge grill.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,055