GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Muffler delete

josh0710

So I had a 2007 rabbit which I deleted both mufflers and drove it for about 18 months till I got in an accident

Now I have a 2010 golf. I realize it isnt a mk5 but it's the same exhaust set up and engine is the same. So I deleted both mufflers on this expecting the same sound but it's much louder and drones so bad on the highway I dont even want to drive it. Could my resonator be done? Or the cat? I have no CEL but my mom seems to think its smells.

I went to my mechanic and they couldn't find any leaks. My rabbit sounded exactly like this video and this is the same set up that is currently on my golf but mine doesn't sound this way
https://youtu.be/G34n1u4L--4

Any ideas? I really want that sound back. After riding around quiet for 3 months I'm bored of it.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
The part numbers for the mufflers / resonator are not the same between MKV & MKVI so maybe the sound difference is due to the resonator design.

Hey guys,
Im newish to the modding scene and I was wondering what cheap, easy modifications I could do to my 2009 mkv rabbit. I want to get the most out of my money, because Im 18 and it doesnt exactly grow on trees. I was looking for something to make the car louder, but my parents are very against a new exhaust system so are there any bolt ons or parts I could remove to make the tone better, EX. CAI or motor mount. Thanks so much.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
So I had a 2007 rabbit which I deleted both mufflers and drove it for about 18 months till I got in an accident

Now I have a 2010 golf. I realize it isnt a mk5 but it's the same exhaust set up and engine is the same. So I deleted both mufflers on this expecting the same sound but it's much louder and drones so bad on the highway I dont even want to drive it. Could my resonator be done? Or the cat? I have no CEL but my mom seems to think its smells.

I went to my mechanic and they couldn't find any leaks. My rabbit sounded exactly like this video and this is the same set up that is currently on my golf but mine doesn't sound this way
https://youtu.be/G34n1u4L--4

Any ideas? I really want that sound back. After riding around quiet for 3 months I'm bored of it.

Amazing that nobody responded to you on this. I don't know if you've solved this by now, but I guess understanding the distinction between mufflers and resonators is important in this case:

The #1 Difference Between Mufflers and Resonators. The main distinction is that a muffler is designed to muffle the overall volume across all RPMs, whereas a resonator is designed to eliminate unwanted resonance or noise at a particular RPM, also known as exhaust drone.

So, not sure where the Golf resonator is tuned at, but clearly it sounds like it's not sufficient to address your daily driving needs. I doubt that a 2010 resonator would be "shot," anyway. Not only that, any performance gains would be questionable on the muffler delete -- it would seem to me your best solution is probably to either take it back to stock or had a high performance muffler - if for nothing else - to offer that tuned aftermarket sound to your Golf.