GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BPY/FSI Serpentine Belt Wear- replacement interval?

cygnusx1

NewDubber
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Rolled past 173k km on a 7 hour drive yesterday. Started it up this morning to move it and when I opened the hood I heard a faint but rhythmic "creaking" or "brushing" sound by the belts. Took a look at the serpentine and it looks like this:

I've never seen what a new belt looks like, but the difference in colour/pattern that you can see in about half of the belt looks like wear to me, is it? What's the interval for replacing these belts on the FSI engine, if any? Looks like a pretty simple DIY.

Thanks

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
https://ibb.co/HTxsf3x

If you do not know the history of the serp belt replace it they are cheap and easy.

While the belt is out start the car and see if the noise issue is still there or not.

ulex77

Car(s)
VW GTI
I would also consider inspecting/ replacing the timing belt as well at that mileage.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Belts are at intervals for inspection at 80k, 100k, but to be replaced at/by 120k miles. Might have been an inspection at 60k in the interval booklet, but I didn't mention it because was uncertain on that one by memory alone.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Mk5 drive belts are to be checked at 40k intervals and if needed replaced. The Timing belt interval checks VW had issues. The 2008 calls for replacement at 110k and no checks before that mileage. Good luck with that. 2006 calls out 60,80,100k and no replacement mileage unless found to be needed, the 2007 60,80,100k and replace at 120k.

Not a bad idea to check at 20k intervals and replace at 80k and play it safe.