GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 BPY DSG Gear Selector Question

oldmanriver

I am doing a engine swap and I got the donor engine and original transmission mated but I noticed when manually moving the gear selector on the transmission from the park position it will click down once into reverse then when I move out of reverse towards neutral you can feel it move out of reverse but in the next position (what should be neutral) is just slop (A lot of play) and does not come to rest in the neutral position or fall into drive.

I’m looking for some help/advice as to what can be done with the engine and transmission on the ground to confirm it is good to reinstall.

Origins transmission is from a 2007 GTI

Thanks

FloridaNative

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't quite remember all this (I never tested my trans when out of the car), but I vaguely recall that some of the dsg positions are controlled at the selector, so there won't be all 6 positions (PRNDMS) at the gearbox itself. I can't remember if it was just manual mode, DMS, or something else (or if I'm totally mid-remembering everything now).

See what you can find out from Google before you reinstall as-is or believe me.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FloridaNative

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep... Here's what Bentley has to say...

"The selector lever position is not transferred mechanically via selector lever cable as with the 09G automatic transmission. Selector lever positions or gear shifts are transferred by way of a separate control module for the shift mechanism through the CAN-Bus to the transmission control module. While gear shifting occurs without a cable, when the selector lever is in "P", a parking lock acting on the differential carrier is engaged mechanically by the selector lever cable."

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk