GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear wiper only works when boot is up

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
as soon as you bring it past the top of the car and lower it stops. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I would take a look at the wiring inside the hatch rubber boots for issues. Can not remember which side carries the wiper wire but you might do a search and find the answer.

PS based on the pictures I took goes to left side

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Thanks, will do. Perhaps a wire is getting pinched or pulled and freed at certain stages of the boot being open and closed

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Yes that is what I am thinking. I have had to repair or rewire a few Golf hatches over the years. I take it you have Vcds, have you scanned for issues?

Last edited:

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Yeah, although perhaps a stupid question. Is there a separate scan that can be done for the electrical stuff or should it be picked up by the one that identifies stuff like the AC pressure sensor etc.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
An Auto Scan should show current issues and a scan of 09 which controls the rear wipers.

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Multimeter Test

This is what I get Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels:. 3C0-937-049-23-H.lbl
Part No SW: 3C0 937 049 E HW: 3C0 937 049 E
Component: Bordnetz-SG H38 1002
Revision: 00H38000 Serial number: 00000001654343
Coding: E58D0F2700041800001400001400000000087F075C
Shop #: WSC 01279 785 00200
VCID: 2B55B1AD8A05371250-807E

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1K2 955 119 C Labels: 1KX-955-119.CLB
Component: Wischer VW350 012 0402
Coding: 00065493
Shop #: WSC 01279

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1K0 955 559 R Labels: 1K0-955-559-AF.CLB
Component: RegenLichtSens 010 1010
Coding: 00207646
Shop #: WSC 01279

No fault code found.

Did a multimeter test, not sure if I was doing it right but I set it to direct and 2 on the MM, put the black probe into the earth and checked the three white wires. So when it is up and working the difference I noticed to that of when down and not working was the furthest away white wire to the brown would register 1. when up and working and 0 when down. So I presume that is the issue just need to get to the wires now to take a closer look.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Does your MFD show the hatch open when it is actually closed and visa versa. Just took a look at a MK5 and when the hatch is closed locked the wiper will function and when the hatch is opened it stops working until the hatch is closed again. With the hatch open I can get it to work if I lock the latch closed in the hatch and will keep working until I unlock the latch and then wiper function again.

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, so to test it I have to manually ensure the latch is as if properly locked and nothing on the MFD to suggest the boot is open. That gets it to work as far as when the boot is fully open but once half way down and lower it stops dead in its tracks.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Alright when you lower the hatch with the latch lock locked and the wiper stops does the MFD show the hatch is opened.

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Alright when you lower the hatch with the latch lock locked and the wiper stops does the MFD show the hatch is opened.
Nope, this is the odd thing. One thing i did forget to mention is that i noticed this after having it mapped stage 1 but ruled this out because it worked when up?

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
I would take a look at the wiring inside the hatch rubber boots for issues. Can not remember which side carries the wiper wire but you might do a search and find the answer.

PS based on the pictures I took goes to left side

Just thought i would report back and say thanks as your first suggestion was the area at fault. So it was the left hand side and ultimately the wire had snapped.