GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Been a long time since ive updated this, thanks to Murpheys law, a lot of the funds for this went into more responsible/important things.

But getting back on track!
Picking up the new IC Saturday, new intake filter ordered, ordering O2 spacer on Thursday (cant pass emissions, grrrr), new endlinks come in 2 weeks.

The plan has slightly changed due to the GTI being retired from daily duty, getting another car for that within the next 2 months.

Changes/additions to current project specs.
-Rear seat delete
-Replacing feont seats with Recaro/Sparco buckets (Open to suggestions!)
-4 or 6 point cage
-4/5 point racing harness's
-SPM track addition turbo back exhaust
-Port and polished F23T
-New wheels
-New suspension

Soooo excited, time table has been moved back to all this done within a year. Wish it was all now but responsibilities lessen the fun money fund lol.

Last edited:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That sounds excellent! Looking forward to the results of the port and polish. I was going to go a similar route with my K04, but my tuner advised against it. This was the reasoning:

"...our turbo guys got the turbo in started looking at everything and were worried the bigger wheel would reach a dangerous choke point that would cause an egt spike. I checked with Unitronic on the matter and in their testing and research they found that very issue causing melted pistons and strongly advised against it .

I contacted them and told them to not go with the bigger wheel but to clip the existing wheel and balance the assembly. This is something not done at the factory. Thsi should improve spool and high rpm consistency. In short what the other guys are selling with hybrid k04s makes a little more power at a huge sacrifice in reliability. Im not going there with brad "bilstein killer" willson's setup as I want you to get the most out of the setup."

Car(s)
Subaru
That sounds excellent! Looking forward to the results of the port and polish. I was going to go a similar route with my K04, but my tuner advised against it. This was the reasoning:

"...our turbo guys got the turbo in started looking at everything and were worried the bigger wheel would reach a dangerous choke point that would cause an egt spike. I checked with Unitronic on the matter and in their testing and research they found that very issue causing melted pistons and strongly advised against it .

I contacted them and told them to not go with the bigger wheel but to clip the existing wheel and balance the assembly. This is something not done at the factory. Thsi should improve spool and high rpm consistency. In short what the other guys are selling with hybrid k04s makes a little more power at a huge sacrifice in reliability. Im not going there with brad "bilstein killer" willson's setup as I want you to get the most out of the setup."

good ic and a good dp (i believe dm is selling a 3.5" dp even), good tune on the fueling, and good timing will help all that. the choke point is the higher rpms on this turbo. the manifold starts to build a lot of pressure.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Update!

SPM IC came today!

jahhhleks

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 gti
finally checked out your build thread and everything you are doing is looking awesome!

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Go ahead and buy the Manual Boost Controller along with your F23T. Save yourself some time and worry.

I would highly recommend this, specially if your tune is other than DM´s/Eurodyne, i say this because DM has dropped the F23T support :cry: MBC is a must have, good luck with the build btw, mine is finally getting there.

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
I would highly recommend this, specially if your tune is other than DM´s/Eurodyne, i say this because DM has dropped the F23T support :cry: MBC is a must have, good luck with the build btw, mine is finally getting there.

I have DM and I still run a MBC

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
I have DM and I still run a MBC

You could thank the WG inconsistencies on Frankenturbo´s end, now imagine someone running a tune intended for a K04 or something like that (like me running Revo K04 soon), MBC is a must, some people seems to have managed to run with no MBC on DM tho.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input guys! However, I may have to start a new thread as ive dropped the F23T and am going with a Garret GTX2867R or the Borg Warner HFE equivalent. Staying with DM for the tune and seeing as they don't support FT anymore I decided to go big or go home lol.

Its coming along much more slowly than I want (Kid/life/wife/etc) but parts are coming in weekly lol. Starting to get a nice parts pile going lol, water meth kit should be here Thursday :)

This winter when I down the car, I'm pulling the motor and doing a full rebuild, port and polished head, and most of the good stuff is going on. Come spring I should be most of the way done with engine/trans stuff, then comes the cage and lots of weight shaving!