GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for tint advice... Silicon Valley

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
I just moved to CA from VA last month for my job. My wife and I are living in Silicon Valley. So far, so good... loving the weather. But man, it's sunny everyday and the car is hot.

I have an appointment next week to get the car tinted at Rocky Mountain in Livermore. I hear nothing but rave reviews about this place, and they work on all of the local exotics, so shop quality is top notch. They use LLumar and Formula One films.

I drive a 4 door UG GTI. I'm trying to figure out what will look best, block the most heat, protect the interior fabric and plastics, and not get me unwanted attention from the cops. I'm on the fence between 50% on the sides w/ 35% on the rear, or 35% all the way around. Do you guys get crap from the cops with 35% all around? Any pics are always appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
well, not sure how cops are in the Silicon Valley, but if you're gonna get tint, might as well get 20% all around.

if cops arent strict, then you can do 35%, but if they are, might as well do 20 all around and if you get pulled over, then just redo it or leave it all off. might as well go dark if they are going to be strict. Cops will recognize if you have tint on the front windows and pull you over regardless.

97C280

Stage 2
35% All around.. It can look dark on some days and it'll look light on some. If you're getting tints on the front, there is no way you'll be "off the hook" from cops. And it truely depends on the tint material for the "use" of tints. Some are ceramic which help a lot with heat, while others do block heat, but not as much and mains purpose is privacy/looks.

I would recommned Best Image in San Mateo or even King Tint in San Burno for your tint work. How much are they charging you at Livermore.. (quite far for a tint job no?)

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
Uhh tints in general are illegal in the front Kevin probably mentioned it above but I didn't read his post =P but anyways I suggest doing 50% in the fronts and 35% in the passenger and 30% in the rear. 50% does the trick to block out the heat but it doesn't give you the hassle with cops.

97C280

Stage 2
I didn't clearly state that it was illegal hehe.

OhPee

Go Kart Champion
I got pulled over the other day and he didn't mention the tints at all. I'm at 35% on the sides and 20 in the rear. He did mention the lack of front plate though

supaflip

WWAATTAAHH!!!
I got pulled over the other day and he didn't mention the tints at all. I'm at 35% on the sides and 20 in the rear. He did mention the lack of front plate though

LUCKY!!!

well my front sides were sort of dark. it's 35% but since our windows is semi tint it made it really dark.

anyways, my front side tints are gone now. i got it removed from best image in san mateo last week.:frown:

97C280

Stage 2
LUCKY!!!

well my front sides were sort of dark. it's 35% but since our windows is semi tint it made it really dark.

anyways, my front side tints are gone now. i got it removed from best image in san mateo last week.:frown:

I coulda removed it :thumbup: Simple dish washer soap diluted with some water in a spray bottle. Blow dryer and a razor, + 45mins done!

BTW, how much was the fixit?

Plans to retint?

supaflip

WWAATTAAHH!!!
I coulda removed it :thumbup: Simple dish washer soap diluted with some water in a spray bottle. Blow dryer and a razor, + 45mins done!

BTW, how much was the fixit?

Plans to retint?

ah the fix it is correctable but its my 2nd time. the cop was being nice to make it correctbale. so basically, $10 when i get the ticket process.
if you're asking for the remove price it was $30.

retint? um probably 50% next summer

97C280

Stage 2
Oh, my dad tint ticket was $25....

$30 isn't too bad, but it coulda been easily DIY-able :biggrin:

I'm probably gonna retint my dad's car too. I hate the sun!

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
I don't really like the look the of two tones along the side of the car, e.g. 50% front, 35% rear. I'd rather just have one shade.

The shop out in Livermore seems to have the best reputation in the area. I'd rather pay more and drive a little farther to get it done 100% correct the first time. Here's their gallery: http://www.rockymtnwindowtint.com/gallery

I really like the looks of these windows on the 911. I like the near OEM look.

Maybe I'll just do 50% on the sides, and 35% on the rear hatch. I realize any tint on the fronts is illegal, but there's much less chance of getting pulled over for 50%.

The F1 Pinnacle 50% film claims 43% heat rejection vs. the 35% film gets up to 50% heat rejection. So only 7% less heat by going that much darker. At that point, it seems like a matter of appearance more than anything. This is an expensive ceramic film though. Do you guys have any signal problems with your gps, radio, cell, etc. with metal films?

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
Hot! I do like a lot of the pics I see of 35% on UG.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Yea, I've got 35% all around down in LA and I've sat at lights right next to cops with my window's up and they don't even give me a second look. From my experience, tint is generally one of those things that they'll nail ya for if they pulled you over for speeding or something, but they'll rarely pull you over for just tint (unless they suspect you for something else). Rock the 35, pay for it once and don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll be fine and the heat reduction is awesome!

smasher

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI BMP
I have about 20% all around and got a speeding ticket and window tint ticket. I got the tint ticket written off from a buddy of mine whose a cop but not the speeding ticket...the motorcycle cop didn't give me one for the front plates though.