GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is FMIC worth it?

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
It doesn’t cool the whole engine down just the inlet air going to the head. It will still run hot because engines generate heat from friction & turbos generate heat from creating pressure.

S T

Passed Driver's Ed
It doesn’t cool the whole engine down just the inlet air going to the head. It will still run hot because engines generate heat from friction & turbos generate heat from creating pressure.

Noted on that. Many say it does thats why I assumed so. Ur opinion sounds logic to me and I agree. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S T

Passed Driver's Ed

What will reduce heatsoak? I know a big better aftermarket IC would but will heat wrapping the header & downpipe help?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Since u are using twincooler, any drawbacks? And any noticeable pros? Many say theres turbo lag / throttle lag

I never notice any of that. My boost reaches max within 600 rpm of going full throttle at 2k rpm. IAT's are always low.
Im planning on doin twincooler with stock IC. Whats ur opinion on that? My goal is to have a denser engine bay since i live in summer all year round. Temp up to 40•c

If tuned...wouldn't hurt. It is what the FMTwinC is designed for. Not needed if remaining stock. The forge is easier to install than a oem location replacement is.

S T

Passed Driver's Ed
I never notice any of that. My boost reaches max within 600 rpm of going full throttle at 2k rpm. IAT's are always low.

If tuned...wouldn't hurt. It is what the FMTwinC is designed for. Not needed if remaining stock. The forge is easier to install than a oem location replacement is.

Im not tuned, stock ecu for now. Only hardware bolt ons upgraded. Would there be any difference? Would that be ok to connect to stock IC?

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
What will reduce heatsoak? I know a big better aftermarket IC would but will heat wrapping the header & downpipe help?

Honestly, that barely makes a difference unless realistic steps are taken to reduce operating temps like secondary radiator, charge oil cooler, trans cooler you know....race car stuff. and highly necessary when going to larger turbo capable of 400+ hp which is ridiculous on front wheel drive with no traction, but hey....peeps got money to burn, aftermarket companies want it so....

S T

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, that barely makes a difference unless realistic steps are taken to reduce operating temps like secondary radiator, charge oil cooler, trans cooler you know....race car stuff. and highly necessary when going to larger turbo capable of 400+ hp which is ridiculous on front wheel drive with no traction, but hey....peeps got money to burn, aftermarket companies want it so....

U mean by wrapping barely makes a difference?

S T

Passed Driver's Ed

And im on a budget, dont hv thick wallet here lol

S T

Passed Driver's Ed

Instead of forge twincooler, would any aftermarket brands hold up too? Im sure as with forge but not far behind

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
That double core intercooler idea always seem’d silly also. Extra piping & an extra core will add more lag to the intake charge. A thicker unit like the apr one mentioned earlier makes more sense, has proven to actually work, and silmply replaces the standard one that is sandwiched between a/c condenser & radiator. & reducing the length of piping or keeping it a short path to manifold is better for performance, even eliminating the intercooler & doing water/meth.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Instead of forge twincooler, would any aftermarket brands hold up too? Im sure as with forge but not far behind

If you can trust the quality, it should work fine. I went with Forge just because I wanted to be able to get replacement hoses should I ever need them...haven't needed hoses yet in ten years.

Here's a clip of data on a 30°C day:
Boost and IAT.....
target-actual-IAT
2280-1290-20<2800rpm
2440-1450-20
2530-1660-20
2530-1870-20
2530-2100-20
2540-2290-21
2540-2340-21
2550-2430-21
2540-2480-21
2540-2550-20<3400rpm
2540-2600-20
2540-2640-20
2540-2640-20
2540-2600-20
2540-2560-20
2530-2510-20
2530-2490-19<4400rpm

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Honestly, if you do not know if you need one or not...you probably do not need one. Intake air is heated at the turbo, as well as the ambient temps around the engine and fmic, hot intake air reduces oxygen. This results in a reduction of fuel and power. However, if heat soak is happening...a FMIC upgrade doesn't gain you any power but may help keep the heat from decreasing power when too much heat prevents the fmic to cool temps. Basically, if you feel it is losing power due to heat...you really want to look at your IAT data to see if the IAT is higher than ambient temps or near it. This would indicate that a fmic upgrade would help.