GOLFMKV

Crap A/C issue

vwengineer

Ready to race!
OK so the duty cycle is

11-0 = 82.0
11-1 = 82
11-2 = 82

The solenoid seems to be ok, if I remember correctly 82 is the maximum so its working at full load. High pressure side is 5.6 bar and evaporator temperature is 29.6F (I guess) which seems low (mine usually stabilize at 2C, then the duty cycle of the compressor decrease).

5.6 bars seems low but it depends of the outside temperature (in summer with an higher temperature mine reaches 8-14 bar). I have to check this weekend how much I get.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Word. This thing is such a pain, honestly. I haven't bothered with it for years, and finally got to the point of not wanting to deal with another summer with no a/c. Is there anything that could be tested with 12v? I could have sworn I saw a video where they tested a switch/relay with 12v pulses.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Ohh I think that the evaporator temperature is given in Celsius, not fahrenheit, indeed, set point is 2 degrees 9-0 and actual 29.6 10-0. So it's not cooling at all... if the evaporator temperature is really 29 degrees Celsius then the pressure is definitely too low. Are you sure that the AC is charged?

I had the same thing, compressor at full load, evaporator barely cooled and the pressure was only increasing 1-2 bars with AC on. Turns out the system had only 115 grams of R134a left vs 525 when full.

I think what you refer to with the 12V testing is the magnetic clutch of the AC pulley but this AC is always ON, it doesn't have a clutch. It has a variable compression ratio (controlled by the solenoid) but it's always engaged on the pulley (it's different than most AC systems)

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Hmm... I am a solid 35% sure it is full. I will ask my buddy to bring his ac gauges tomorrow. Will try to get a reading on them.

This is going from memory, could be wrong, but when hooked up, high and low side had ~80psi
**With car running, and AC on

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Keep in mind that you need to deduct 1 bar from the readings from the G65 sensor, so you are actually 4.6 bar and with a gauge set would confirm this, also you are close to what the static pressure would be at the temp you saw of 60F....You need to check the charge and the only way is to evacuate it and check its weight.....Need to check for leaks, G65 is a known issue

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Its the only pressure sensor.

It also check for low pressure in system and will set a DTC for it 00229

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet that the Lite version will not pull that kind of scan. Will it?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Get it recharged, they will usually add a tracer (yellow dye) in the system so then you will be able to spot leaks easily. Could be the condenser too, if it was hit by some rocks

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
This is going from memory, could be wrong, but when hooked up, high and low side had ~80psi
**With car running, and AC on

Somehow I missed this post but if done correctly you have mechanical issues.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Tried contacting a few of the folks on that map you sent to no avail. Planning on evacuating/vacuuming/dying the system this weekend to see what crops up.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
So while waiting for the weekend, is there any one component that would cause both the compressor and the fan to not work, and could it be tested? I am starting to wonder if it is a few different things that put me here. Like, fan died, compressor failed due to no air flow, and a leak. But only time and more testing will tell.