GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pulling the head - advice needed

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes, it could make a repeated ticking noise if the cam tensioner is loose or broken. You mentioned you replaced the cam adjuster seals...how long ago? Was the tensioner's condition not noticed or inspected then? What is the duty cycle % of the tensioner at idle and under constant load? Give me that data...the % at idle and again at say; constant 2500 rpm on as flat a road as you can find. Mine has never been replaced at 146k miles and should be somewhere near tired, but I can get my data so you can compare to what mine is...if you want.

Finder

Ready to race!
The head was sent to the shop with the cams installed, including the adjuster,chain and tensioner and it was returned the same way. The tensioner wasn't loose at all and chain is in perfect condition. They are 2 years old.
Housing adjuster seals were replaced a few days ago cause I've discovered a broken seal when I first took it apart.
I will pull the cover but honestly I'm not sure what to look for at the adjuster itself. Does anyone know how it works and what is inside so I can make sure it is functioning properly?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
There's pictures in this DIY showing what is in there...http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=106158.0

The chain guide that applies pressure onto the timing chain should be in one piece and still have the composite material attached to the tension piston of the adjuster. Really, this is all you can inspect. The function would be noticed in the data as it should show near 100% duty if it is having trouble timing the cams.

This is a pic of the composite completely broken off and I've seen pics of the composite being partially worn through; https://www.google.com/search?q=tes...iw=933&bih=411&dpr=1.71#imgrc=TSRklOImjOdGcM:

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
The head was sent to the shop with the cams installed, including the adjuster,chain and tensioner and it was returned the same way. The tensioner wasn't loose at all and chain is in perfect condition. They are 2 years old.
Housing adjuster seals were replaced a few days ago cause I've discovered a broken seal when I first took it apart.
I will pull the cover but honestly I'm not sure what to look for at the adjuster itself. Does anyone know how it works and what is inside so I can make sure it is functioning properly?

Its my understanding that if there was something wrong with your cam adjuster you would be seeing a code for cam position.

The adjuster works by feeding oil pressure to different chambers to advance or retard the intake cam. I can't imagine the adjuster itself making a rattling noise for any reason.

I would get a mechanics stethoscope and try to narrow down what part of the engine the sound is coming from.

Finder

Ready to race!
I was asking what is inside the cam adjuster unit itself. Details about the mechanism, but I took mine apart and had a look. It felt like it was stuck a bit inside and I've seen some areas which look worn. I've put it back together but now I'm trying to decide if I should give it another try as it is or buy a new one and reinstall. Unfortunately they are not cheap (around $400) and if I go with new and it doesn't resolve the knocking, I'll lose it...

Finder

Ready to race!
Its my understanding that if there was something wrong with your cam adjuster you would be seeing a code for cam position.

The adjuster works by feeding oil pressure to different chambers to advance or retard the intake cam. I can't imagine the adjuster itself making a rattling noise for any reason.

I would get a mechanics stethoscope and try to narrow down what part of the engine the sound is coming from.

I've done that and it points to the VVT, so cam adjuster area..

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I was asking what is inside the cam adjuster unit itself. Details about the mechanism, but I took mine apart and had a look. It felt like it was stuck a bit inside and I've seen some areas which look worn. I've put it back together but now I'm trying to decide if I should give it another try as it is or buy a new one and reinstall. Unfortunately they are not cheap (around $400) and if I go with new and it doesn't resolve the knocking, I'll lose it...

Or try a cheap Brand X adjuster to rule it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Camshaft-Adjuster-Quattro-06F109088J-06F109088C/dp/B071XHN8CL

Finder

Ready to race!
I was actually looking at those but the problem is it will take a long time to have them delivered.

EDIT: ordered with priority shipping. Thanks for the link ;)

Finder

Ready to race!

Finder

Ready to race!
Found the problem. Timing belt jumped a tooth...:mad:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Timing belt jumped? Do you think it jumped or was off ever since the rebuilt head was put back on? Was the belt tensioner new when you replaced the rebuilt head? I could see that making the tick happen at the other end though. Because it was off one tooth...the adjuster duty cycle was likely always at near 0% and so was always at full slop in the chain. Shame it happened...but really nice you discovered the problem.

Finder

Ready to race!
When I installed the head I know I've checked the timing marks several times and did 2 full rotations of the engine to confirm. I have no idea how it happened but I'm glad I found the problem.
With all the sensors this engine has I'm really surprised that I did not get a timing error code or felt any performance issues.
I'm happy that the car drives great now and I can feel the restored compression. The strong knocking is gone now but there is still some pinging that wasn't there before all this was done. Maybe it will improve after a while.
What's most important is that the exhaust smoke when idling is gone now which was the main reason I've done all this.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Hopeful for many miles to come...enjoy it.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI