GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 Golf R motor in a 2006 MkV

TooOldForThis

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI
So I've searched and googled and found nothing. I blew my 225,000 mile K04 GTI last Friday and found a complete Mk6 golf R motor. Just wondering if anyone has done this swap yet. I know it's basically the same motors with different internals, just seeing if I'd run into any issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TooOldForThis

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Thanks, I'm not sure yet either grenaded the oil pump or threw a rod through the block.

What tune were you using? Any issues leading up to the failure?

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Golf R engine is the same, minus internal differences as you said. Swap will be straightforward

A couple of issues I can think of:

The boost sensor is different, so you can either switch to the GTI sensor or get a modified tune to work with the 3 Bar sensor.

The Golf R compression ratio is slightly lower, and the intake valve and HPFP cam lobes have a little more lift. I'm not sure if these things would necessitate different tuning to run correctly.

TooOldForThis

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI
The damage

TooOldForThis

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI
The car was in limp mode after changing the battery with no CEL I was trying to get it to my buddies VW/Audi shop when the motor popped on the interstate.
Your photos are eerily similar to nkresho's from when his K04 FSI threw a rod. Did you get overboost codes or run 100oct like he did?

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193191

With each one of these K04 engine failures I get closer to pulling the trigger on drop in rods.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
It had 225,000 miles and was 12 y.o. with a lot more horsepower than it came with, it had a good life.

Absolutely, you got your money's worth out of that engine for sure.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Your photos are eerily similar to nkresho's from when his K04 FSI threw a rod. Did you get overboost codes or run 100oct like he did?

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193191

With each one of these K04 engine failures I get closer to pulling the trigger on drop in rods.
I guess if the ED30/S3 have reinforced rods it's for a reason, but none the less they seem to hold well. A friend of mine broke a rod on a presumably stock A3 with an AXX engine the day he bought it on its way home. Sometimes it's just bad luck, it had 110k miles.