GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to buy a mk5 GTI

jimmymk5

Hey mk5rs. I'm BRAND new to the GTI scene been reading up on a LOT of stuff on here. The horizon is looking more and more bright for me. I'm heading to this dealer tomorrow to work out a good price for this 07 mkv. This will be my first purchase of ANY TYPE of car and I'm glad I chose to be apart of the Euro club. If you have any tips with financing this car or what things to look for before purchasing this car please don't be hesitant to let me know!! Wish me luck guys! :thumbup:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Ask about service history and check the oil. Lots of cars out there, hope you shopped around. I personally like the 08.5-09 for the TSI motor.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to the family. One tip, check underneath the wheel well for a screw that connects the liner to the body. If the screw is not there that means the liner has been pulled up above the panel to give more tire clearance and most likely the car was lowered and more likely modified. If you can get the 8.5-9 TSI motor that is a plus

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
Check the cam follower and ask the seller about any oil consumption issues if buying an FSI model. Good luck with your purchase :thumbsup:

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
Search Google for "FSI vs TSI" and you'll get tons of threads about it. TSI is better all the way around; better PCV system, better fuel system, timing chain instead of timing belt, no cam follower issue, less oil consumption than FSI, the list goes on.. Also with the TSI you don't need to upgrade your HPFP if you go stage 2+. Go TSI if you can but I wouldn't completely rule out FSI if thats all you can find. Just make sure it was properly maintained and try to find one that's been stock its whole life.

I have an '07 FSI that I bought earlier this year and it was completely stock its whole life and maintained by VW. I had a few issues with oil consumption in the beginning but I fixed that by replacing the valve cover and now I barely consume any oil at all. I don't have any cam follower issues either and doubt I ever will if I keep checking it every 5000 miles as a precaution(since I'm stage 2, if car is stock you don't need to check it that often). Also if you do get an FSI and your cam shaft, follower, and HPFP get destroyed, its still covered under an extended 10year, 120k warranty. Just call Volkswagen, give them the VIN, and they will mail you the extended warrenty information. Many people have had this happen and they took their cars to VW and they replace everything at no charge.

Tonilioni

I too am new to the gti scene and am looking for a mkv to buy. Most of the cars im looking at have anywhere between 80k-105k miles on the dash and are FSI motored. They're all around $9-10,000. What in specific should I look for besides cam follower and oil consumption?(Sorry to drop in this thread, for some reason it won't me create a new thread)

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Ask to have the vehicle placed on a lift so you can see underneath. If they so no, there's a problem right there!

Check underneath to insure no missing panels. Check for oil leaks. Check the CV boots too!

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
Thanks fellas. So I was looking up more on TSi and FSi. Any specific difference in performance, maintenance, mileage, flaws?

Please click the photo below for trouble shooting common FSI and TSI related parts.

Without knowing current service records you might want to look into this first but not limited to - Diverter valve, coil packs, spark plugs, fuel filter, and cam follower for starters. Maintain your new investment with all our various service kits that can be found: Here

Andy