GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

chipped or new car

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
I grabbed my MKV with 20k on the clock and at that time could break the front tyres loose pretty easily with summer rubber on it. A few years ago I remember something about an ECU update, possibly DSG as well. Fast forward to now, replaced the shredded DV and broken ass air box with a P-Flo. Car still won't break the front end loose with an all weather tyre. I also had some head work done after the timing chain broke.

Since I don't know the early history of the car, I have no idea whether or not it was flashed or not or if in its nearly 95k miles it's getting old and tired. Is there an easy way to know whether or not the original owner had anything done or would I have to contact each company with a VIN (if they track to begin with) to see if they're the lucky winner?

There have been no odd codes outside EVAP system crap and the PCV was replaced by the local stealership a couple years ago too. I have VAGCom and stumble my way through using some of the cooler features (logging).

I took a coil out post intake install and noticed some discoloration on it, so this I've read could contribute to the problem.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Since you have vagcom...you can log boost and wgdc. If boost target is 18 psi or more, it is likely tuned. Actual boost and wgdc should show if something is very wrong with it. Log groups 115 and 118 w/turbo selected...do a 3rd gear pull from 2k rpm to redline(so, 90 mph you will reach...be safe). You can select groups 015 and 016 while idling, revving, and driving between 2k and 3k rpm...this will count misfires. So, you can watch the count at idle and revving. Misfires need to reach a certain number before it codes but I think something else would be the cause of low power.

Yes, you could attempt to contact some tuners and see if they can help in confirming this. But find out if it is tuned via boost specs first...then you may want to see which one tuned it if you need to know. It may be tuned with more than a pump fuel tune. That alone may be worth knowing.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
How long since you put in a fresh set of properly gapped plugs, a new air filter and fuel filters.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
Properly gapped plugges has been...under 20k miles. I just installed a new air intake on Saturday, and fuel filter needs to be replaced nowish, I'm waiting for decent weather.

I'm also looking at replacing the fuel pump control module in the back seat, it has become problematic over the last 2 years.

rcdanreedo

I grabbed my MKV with 20k on the clock and at that time could break the front tyres loose pretty easily with summer rubber on it. A few years ago I remember something about an ECU update, possibly DSG as well. Fast forward to now, replaced the shredded DV and broken ass air box with a P-Flo. Car still won't break the front end loose with an all weather tyre. I also had some head work done after the timing chain broke.

Since I don't know the early history of the car, I have no idea whether or not it was flashed or not or if in its nearly 95k miles it's getting old and tired. Is there an easy way to know whether or not the original owner had anything done or would I have to contact each company with a VIN (if they track to begin with) to see if they're the lucky winner?

There have been no odd codes outside EVAP system crap and the PCV was replaced by the local stealership a couple years ago too. I have VAGCom and stumble my way through using some of the cooler features (logging).

I took a coil out post intake install and noticed some discoloration on it, so this I've read could contribute to the problem.
I have an MK 5 my brother has two MK5 they both have over a hundred thousand miles on them once a stage 2 1 2 stage 2 + and 1 sister stage 1 I believe and you can fry the tires off of those anytime you want so you got something wrong Daniel

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

kev1n333

Passed Driver's Ed
Since you have vagcom...you can log boost and wgdc. If boost target is 18 psi or more, it is likely tuned. Actual boost and wgdc should show if something is very wrong with it. Log groups 115 and 118 w/turbo selected...do a 3rd gear pull from 2k rpm to redline(so, 90 mph you will reach...be safe). You can select groups 015 and 016 while idling, revving, and driving between 2k and 3k rpm...this will count misfires. So, you can watch the count at idle and revving. Misfires need to reach a certain number before it codes but I think something else would be the cause of low power.

Yes, you could attempt to contact some tuners and see if they can help in confirming this. But find out if it is tuned via boost specs first...then you may want to see which one tuned it if you need to know. It may be tuned with more than a pump fuel tune. That alone may be worth knowing.
This is some good advice

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably the air mass meter. I've built up a pile of 4 or 5 of them over the years and they all make the engine behave a bit differently. A couple of them are savage, the others a bit flat. I use the 'good' ones as a baseline for aftermarket intake testing.....and breaking traction easily is a good sign of a healthy one. Bad ones will cause a hard misfire just before the Traction control kicks in.

You don't get a MAF trouble code unless it's totally broken or disconnected. The ECU will adapt around a sub optimal MAF.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Does it run better with the MAF unplugged? If so, it is likely the MAF or even a post MAF leak...pre-MAP.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
swapped out plugs (ugh, gross) and coil packs (also kinda nasty thanks to the local VW stealership sending me away with an oil leak and not bothering to check the source a couple years back). Car starts easier when it's not cold, seems to accelerate a little more aggressively now too. Still not to the break the front tires loose like it did when it was new. Also still runs a little rough.

Based off a prior thread aside fuel filter it is likely time to look at the fuel pump control module or the thrust sensor.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
What about intake valves? When were they cleaned last? Not sure if that would make a noticeable difference. I usually get mine done every 30k miles or so.

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
Does it run better with the MAF unplugged? If so, it is likely the MAF or even a post MAF leak...pre-MAP.

Surprising how many people overlook that little test. It is the primary load sensor. If it's bad, you won't be breaking traction as easily as before. The ECU is too good and too seamless at adapting around a bad MAF......but unless it throws a code (which it won't unless it's unplugged) people are not interested.

If the pedal feels 'spongey' and unresponsive and seems to boost later in the revs than usual, 100% bad MAF. Assuming of course there are no other hardware related issues, such as boost leaks, split DVs, popped PCVs etc.
The MAF is king. Engine response and proper fuelling is totally reliant on it.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
What about intake valves? When were they cleaned last? Not sure if that would make a noticeable difference. I usually get mine done every 30k miles or so.

Ummmm.....15k or so ago when I had to have the head machined a bit.

I'll experiment more with the MAF, after I do some other stuff like the fuel filter at the least. I replaced the DV a while back with the piston style, the prior one was that stupid rubber nipple looking thing and it was mangled pretty good. PCV was also replaced a while back too. I'll look into how to check for a boost leak with VAG, is it possible to test without moving?

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
Unplugged the MAF for my drive home today. Things seemed to be better and possibly better throttle response. I'll try it tomorrow morning after the engine has time to cool off (I'm a runner for a law office) so having a warm car isn't a good measure.

I've also read a bad MAP sensor could be part of the problem too.