GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R brakes on GTI

ballsdeep

Ready to race!
I searched a boatload, some say they will bolt right op while others say they won't.. r32 will swap right over and the R's Are the same as those, so in theory they should swap right over.. I'm about to buy a front front Golf R setup calipers, rotors, dust shield, pads and the longer brake lines.. Is there anything else I'll need before I pull the trigger?

Thanks in advance

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I searched a boatload, some say they will bolt right op while others say they won't.. r32 will swap right over and the R's Are the same as those, so in theory they should swap right over.. I'm about to buy a front front Golf R setup calipers, rotors, dust shield, pads and the longer brake lines.. Is there anything else I'll need before I pull the trigger?

Thanks in advance

Definately put the Tyrolsport Stiffners on them as you do this along with a good fluid like ATE and yes dust shields fit fine and you need the R brake lines so sounds like you are all good. They do bolt up.

I run HPS 5.0 pads for street all around - very nice. And with more aggressive HP+ pads for the track they have performed well on fast road courses where you are constantly coming in from triple digit speeds to tight turn. Never faded in back to back sessions, went through full tank of gas that day.

Love my R brakes which are the same as R32 brakes... but they are heavy, but they are a very nice factory upgrade with LOTS of pad choices.

ballsdeep

Ready to race!
Definately put the Tyrolsport Stiffners on them as you do this along with a good fluid like ATE and yes dust shields fit fine and you need the R brake lines so sounds like you are all good. They do bolt up.

I run HPS 5.0 pads for street all around - very nice. And with more aggressive HP+ pads for the track they have performed well on fast road courses where you are constantly coming in from triple digit speeds to tight turn. Never faded in back to back sessions, went through full tank of gas that day.

Love my R brakes which are the same as R32 brakes... but they are heavy, but they are a very nice factory upgrade with LOTS of pad choices.

Thanks for the info, that's a sweet ass setup! I'll look into the stiffeners too. Your build page is awesome as well! You made 335hp with the K04, did you change the rods or is it all stock still.. I have a k04 too, I just installed the SB stage 2 daily so I wanna put it in a dyno soon, hopefully I'll be around 300.

Well done!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks for the info, that's a sweet ass setup! I'll look into the stiffeners too. Your build page is awesome as well! You made 335hp with the K04, did you change the rods or is it all stock still.. I have a k04 too, I just installed the SB stage 2 daily so I wanna put it in a dyno soon, hopefully I'll be around 300.

Well done!

Thanks, motor is stock, I have done a bit more to it since the 335/336 numbers but due to DSG slippage I have not been able to lay down new numbers. I hope to have slippage issue fixed in the next couple of weeks with a customized DSG tune with increased clamping force.

Dwowie

Sorry for trying to revive this but I’m about to purchase golf r brakes and wanted to know what we’re the issues installing and what’s needed to install on my mk5?

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I'd like to know as well. Can anyone answer this?

They’re direct bolt on and definitely help brake better - but they do weigh a lot. Rotors are more expensive - slightly.

Source: I have swapped from GTI to Mk5 R32 to TTRS brakes and now have those calipers on two golfs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
For a more OEM look, how about MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack calipers (same as 8V S3/7R) and Clubsport S discs? :thumbsup:

All you need is the calipers, carriers, discs and pads. The stock MK5 brake lines work just fine, but upgrade to braided if you want to. I just used brand new OEM lines :thumbsup:

With the Clubsport S discs, the weight difference between stock 312 and R/S3 is around 4Kg per corner, which is nothing if you have adjustable damping and the huge increase in stopping power more than compensates for the weight. I didn't even notice/feel the extra weight at all.

sauron18

I was thinking of putting the R brakes in my MK5 GLI but i decided to go NQSBBK front and R rear brakes setup. Maybe occasionally i will go to the track and the drag but my car is my DD and a street car. I like the R brakes, the car no doubt will brake better & will look awesome. The benefit of having bigger brakes for more heat dissipation in my case i think i will not use it 100%.

Vansickel

My son is looking to replace his rear breaks and rotors n just ordered rims n tires any advice for a good place to order n what tools hell need. hes just starting out he has an 06 gti n his brother has a 17.