GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Head Unit "warm up??"

mister0wl

Hey, everyone...

So I DID go ahead and pick up that Rabbit I went to look at last week, and the first thing I did was swap the head unit. I went with an Axxess interface instead of drawing power from the fuse box.

I left the car at home over the weekend, and came home to a radio that won't turn ON with the car. Rather, after driving for a while, the lights will flicker, and it'll finally start working.

I'm really confused, because in stop + go traffic, when I put the car in neutral to roll to a light, the radio will sometimes turn off.

Did I wire something wrong? Do I just need to change the battery? Do I need to change the alternator? I honestly have no idea what this could be, seeing as the OEM stereo was fine, and I made sure every wire I connected on the interface to the harness was exactly what it should be.

Thanks for any help.

mister0wl

I'm fairly sure I've figured out the problem... I just have no idea how to go about fixing it.

I think the radio is somehow wired to the alternator. Although I've tested the OEM radio again, and it turns on and off with the car, the new one starts when I drive for a while, and turns off when I put the clutch in neutral to roll to a stop. I tested my battery, and it's carrying a full charge. Maybe the wiring on the Axxess interface is off, and the red and yellow were switched? Would that make sense?

One other thing that might do it would be a loose connection somewhere, but again... After driving for a bit the radio works exactly as intended.

Worst case scenario here is that I return the interface and use a standard harness, and route a wire to the fuse box... But I'd really rather not.