GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My little brother bought a new Civic Si this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaschh

Banned
I went with him because he's never bought a new car before and I've got a pretty solid approach to it.

I looked at these new models when I first got my GTI but the only one in the area was in the showroom at Honda of Bellevue and it was Mugen edition and was marked up about $4K over msrp, so the douche sales people wouldn't even let me drive it.

Nnot that it mattered though because after the test drive in my brother's new car I could barely hold back the laughs! That thing is SLOOOOOWWWWWW! No, seriously, it is completely gutless. It's like a regular 130hp Civic until about 5500rpms and it then gets *slightly* faster. I actually looked at the sales guy and asked if there was something wrong with it. :eyebulge:

NOTE TO EVERYONE - THE HYPE OVER THIS CAR IS COMPLETE B*LLSHIT. I could beat one of those in my wife's Rabbit. No lie, I would put them against each other any day. Amazing the comparisons made between the GTI and the Si. Not even in the same class. Not to mention the cheap ass interior in those things. Wow, I'm totally amazed by the whole thing. Not exaggerating.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
LOL thats too funny. when i first saw it i couldnt get over how rediculous the guage cluster was...would you even call it a cluster? haha. does he like the car?

f_399

07 GTI and 06 Passat
we're just so used to torque in our cars

stock for stock they are as quick as the gti

now chip the gti and its another story

thomaschh

Banned
He likes it but he's wanting to mod it pretty bad. I don't blame him, problem is even if he drops $2K it still won't be much faster.

Yeah, the three level dash is bizarre. I don't like them at all but hey, ain't my car (thank god). Lol.

thomaschh

Banned
we're just so used to torque in our cars

stock for stock they are as quick as the gti

now chip the gti and its another story

No, they are not as fast in any way. They might have the same peak HP but that's not the same thing as "just as fast." They're WAY slower. You've obviously never ridden in one.

f_399

07 GTI and 06 Passat
read any publication on the new si, they have the similar 1/4 mile times as a stock gti

This contest was close almost everywhere. Both cars have similar power, offer similar features and have similar build quality inside and out. Plus, their performance numbers were a wash. Quarter-mile and 0-60 times were only one-tenth of a second apart.
This was most easily demonstrated in the slalom, where the Civic smoked the GTI by more than 2 mph (68.7 vs. 66.1).

At the track the performance was, for all practical purposes, a dead heat with the Si. Through the quarter-mile the GTI cranked out a 15.3-second pass, which is only a tenth slower than the Honda. But the VW was a tenth quicker to 60 mph (6.7 vs. 6.8 seconds). Braking distances were a wash. The GTI hauled down from 60 in 126 feet — only 2 feet shorter than the Si.

Si vs Gti vs Mini
This all-around versatility (and its lack of torque — just 139 lb.-ft.) hurts the Si slightly at the track, where it's neither as tossable as the Mini nor as powerful as the GTI. But it by no means embarrasses itself, lapping just 0.3 sec. off the much torquier GTI (1:30.6) and 0.7 sec. behind the more narrowly focused Mini (1:30.2). Its limited-slip differential remains the class of the field, allowing the Civic to put its power to the ground more effectively than the other two. If it was a little more willing to rotate on demand, there's a good chance it would have picked up a few tenths and possibly lapped faster than the GTI.

We predicted the GTI would be faster at the drag strip, but we didn’t think the Si would be so close. And we actually found it faster than the GTI the higher we explored the speedometers.

At the track, the Si was nearly 2.0 seconds a lap quicker, thanks to a front limited-slip diff that effectively puts down power and a suspension that always leaves the Si composed and planted--evidenced by 0.89 g on the skidpad (0.83 for the GTI) and a 26.8-second run through the figure eight (27.2, GTI). Not only does the Si stay flat at the track, it also remains compliant around the city, delivering a taut ride that's nearly as forgiving as the VW's.

So besides your opinion on how slow the Si is based on driving it... where else did you gather information that the Si is MUCH slower then a gti?

Last edited:

thomaschh

Banned
read any publication on the new si, they have the similar 1/4 mile times as a stock gti

Don't be a such a tool. How about you go drive an Si and come back here and tell me what you think. Yeah?

I've read everything there is to read about them and I'm telling you from experience it's all total hype. The car is a pile of crap and it's nowhere near as fast as a GTI.

Why the hype? Because the biggest demographic for tuner magazines is ricers, and if you rip their flagship car you lose readers and advertising dollars. Don't be so naive. Seriously. I don't even have a GTI any more so I really don't care, but the fact is they are not as fast.

f_399

07 GTI and 06 Passat
Don't be a such a tool. How about you go drive an Si and come back here and tell me what you think. Yeah?

I've read everything there is to read about them and I'm telling you from experience it's all total hype. The car is a pile of crap and it's nowhere near as fast as a GTI.

Why the hype? Because the biggest demographic for tuner magazines is ricers, and if you rip their flagship car you lose readers and advertising dollars. Don't be so naive. Seriously. I don't even have a GTI any more so I really don't care, but the fact is they are not as fast.

i have driven one, it was one of the cars i was looking at when i was shopping for cars

and those quotes came from automobile, car and driver, autoweek, edmunds....

find me one publication showing the Si is soooo slow compared to a stock GTI and ill shut up

thomaschh

Banned
Here, this should help explain why a car with the same peak hp isn't "just as fast":

the GTI makes its peak power about 3,000 RPMs earlier than the Civic (about 4,500). It then holds it for almost 1,700 RPMs. The Civic doesn't make peak HP until 7,500 RPMs and it drops almost immediately and redlines out after another 3-400 RPMs. See how this works?

The only saving grace for the Civic is it revs high, but unless you keep it that high the entire time. 0-60 is one thing, but go out any day of the week and gun it next to an Si and see what happens. You'll drop them like a brick.

Z32 GTI MkV

9 Ball Champ
Car(s)
1990 Nissan TT 300zx
LOL thats too funny. when i first saw it i couldnt get over how rediculous the guage cluster was...would you even call it a cluster? haha. does he like the car?

More like a cluster fuck.

thomaschh

Banned
So besides your opinion on how slow the Si is based on driving it... where else did you gather information that the Si is MUCH slower then a gti?

Hahaha! Are you serious? You're saying I should trust a mag review more than my own experience.
BS - you have not driven one or you would have said that earlier and plus we wouldn't even be having this conversation because you'd know what you're talking about.

f_399

07 GTI and 06 Passat
Hahaha! Are you serious? You're saying I should trust a mag review more than my own experience.
BS - you have not driven one or you would have said that earlier and plus we wouldn't even be having this conversation because you'd know what you're talking about.

lol

so how do you know its slower... it "felt" slower huh?

very valid and trustworthy conclusion there bud!

ignorance is bliss

thomaschh

Banned
Hey, the magazines said there are aliens on Mars and NASA just took their word for it. Sweet!

I'm ignorant? Poor, poor sheep...

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
The SI's do feel like gutless pigs vs our GTI's... still the magazines say they are pretty close. Ahh, after it's all said and done... it's still a Honda! GTI FTW!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Hey, the magazines said there are aliens on Mars and NASA just took their word for it. Sweet!

I'm ignorant? Poor, poor sheep...

Status
Not open for further replies.