GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Pics Released

race bumb

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 GTI
Whats the point of buying a GTi now? at least before the GTi vs R32 debates would involve ppl going on about chipping etc to become faster than an R32 but now who would buy a GTi??? The GTi is officially the poor mans :.R now!

A GTI with a lsd would probably whip a GTIR with the same mods because it will be around 500lbs lighter. I don't think that an AWD is any quicker than a fwd or rwd unless it's raining. That's been my experience fwiw.

Last edited:

wale

Go Kart Champion
i like the idea of fwd, but doesnt this form awd drive like a fwd setup?
iv watched many reviews of the s3, and people always complain that it understeers a lot like any fwd car, nd that its not a true awd performer....
i know for sure that off the line traction is their stroongest point

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
This car from what I've read so far is using the Haldex Gen4 system. It is the same system showcased in 2008 in the Saab TurboX and now in their 09 X models as well. It isn't the system used in the S3... Haldex Gen 4 Release

It does drive much like FWD in normal situations; but it has the ability to near-instantly transfer up to 100% of torque to the rear wheels (as in launching) when needed. It does this by using a hydraulic link system and throttle sensors in place of wheel slippage. In other words it reads what you are doing with your foot and adjusts torque proactively instead or reacting to the car losing traction. :biggrin:

The Gen4 Haldex system is truly a beast; the control it has is absolutely amazing. I test drove a few of those cars when they first came out and it is incredible to drive.

bonix

Ready to race!
OK. I'll take the better car.

says the GTI driver. I am more than happy with my overweight love machine of an R32. the back of the mkvi is the only appealing thing imo. i think the weird LED fogs or w/e are stupid looking, steering wheel is eh, and their fancy racing seats arent leather. since when is R badging considered a feature?

ill wait till MKVII

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
You do realize that the MKV R32 came out in 2005 and we didn't see it until 2008. To think that we will be getting a car in 2010 that hasn't even come out yet in Europe is insane.....

telaio

Ready to race!
I don't think that an AWD is any quicker than a fwd or rwd unless it's raining. That's been my experience fwiw.
Maybe but accelerating in corners is so much fun...I don't think it will work so well at all with FWD...

GTI2007

A GTI with a lsd would probably whip a GTIR with the same mods because it will be around 500lbs lighter. I don't think that an AWD is any quicker than a fwd or rwd unless it's raining. That's been my experience fwiw.

Not to be picky but the S3 which shares engine and awd drivetrain with this new Golf R weighs just a bit over 250 lbs more then the mk5 GTI so this Golf R can never weigh 500 lbs more then the GTI

telaio

Ready to race!
You think? Wow, that's all the proof I need.:thumbdown:
Well doesn't the goddamn ESP-light light up every time when accelerating through a corner? The front wheels have to steer so there's less traction available for acceleration and when the weight moves backwards and sideways the inner front wheel is going to slip...

Redcloud

Ready to race!
x2 Insane!!!

Which sucks though. I want it.

I hope VW stays with releasing the .:R every 4 years in limited quantity in the states. IMO opinion it makes the car more exclusive. Call me selfish but I like being 1 of 5000. Not to mention my current .:R will not be paid off till 2012 :lol:

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
I hope VW stays with releasing the .:R every 4 years in limited quantity in the states. IMO opinion it makes the car more exclusive. Call me selfish but I like being 1 of 5000. Not to mention my current .:R will not be paid off till 2012 :lol:

haha im in the same boat